• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Once a Pepper Ripens...

How long can you leave it on the plant before it goes bad. I ask because I have an aji limon "bush" with a boatlaod of peppers on it and a few are starting to become ripe. I'd like to leave the first few ripe ones on the plant until the others ripen as well.

Can I do this without having the first ones rot?

PeteyPepper said:
How long can you leave it on the plant before it goes bad. I ask because I have an aji limon "bush" with a boatlaod of peppers on it and a few are starting to become ripe. I'd like to leave the first few ripe ones on the plant until the others ripen as well.

Can I do this without having the first ones rot?

I think it depends on the type of pepper. I have some yellow congos that's been ripe for WELL over two weeks now, still feels crunchy on the tree, firm i mean, whatever, lol.

But i have a bird pepper type that once its reallly ripe it gets squishy, then just falls off the tree, then rots.

wurge said:
Erm yes really. How do you think the seeds get to the floor in the wild?
They get eaten by birds?
I've grown endless types of Birdseye chiles, and all of them will dry and die and still have their peppers on them. if you don't pick them, they'll dry on the plant.

peppercrazy said:
But i have a bird pepper type that once its reallly ripe it gets squishy, then just falls off the tree, then rots.

Also read here yesterday birds eye peppers are the easiest to harvest because they fall off but whatever

wurge said:

Also read here yesterday birds eye peppers are the easiest to harvest because they fall off but whatever

I said I have a bird pepper type. I dunno what it really is named. And I have absolutely no idea what a Birdseye pepper is.

Also I'll clarify that the little stem that is attached to the pepper remains on the tree. The stemless overripe pepper falls.

Back