• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

one-eyed douglahs

Prior to germinating 3 douglah seeds, i soaked them in a mild epsom salt water over night.
Upon germination, the first's would not shed its seed cap and it rotted at the stem/seed border.(on occasion i would lightly mist it).

The next two, only have 1 cotyledon, what do you believe would cause this? would it genetically be directly from the original parent seed or pod?
Is this just a predispostion or could it be that all pepper plants have 2 cotyledons but for whatever reason these seeds kept one in the seed lining(odd that 2 seeds would do the same)?

Both germinated on the Jan 20, 1 is in soil, 1 in rockwool. The soil seedling is about 2" high with a very tiny single cotyledon, the rockwool seedling is very tiny, 1/4" but its leaf is slightly larger, about the same size as it's stem.

(the seeds were free, so it doesn't concern me that much and i am really at my space and container limit for 2011's growing season but still it would be nice to experience a douglah, especially in my growing environment and i love a challenge)

I have one seedling coming up without any cotyledons. Its just a stalk but is continuing to grow so I've let it be.
I occassionally have single cotyledons as well. Im thinking that they broke off as the seed coat was being pushed through the soil. Maybe

Back