food Onion Rings THP

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Onion Rings THP

3 large white onions, cut into rings, paper thin. Soak in buttermilk overnight (removes the acidity). Remove from buttermilk, and coat a with mixture of flour and cayenne pepper (six parts flour to one part cayenne). Deep fry at 375 degrees until golden brown.

I remember Alton Brown using leeks for his "onion" rings. I can't remember why though but it made sense at the time.

I like onion rings :drooling:
I'll be trying this sometime soon, I just never knew how to make onion rings, thanks.
but whats the deal about "removes the acidity" ? is this for people that dont really like the taste of raw white onions ?
if so do you really need to soak overnight, can you just soak for awhile & then coat ? because I'd rather have that white onion taste.

chilehunter said:
I like onion rings :drooling:
I'll be trying this sometime soon, I just never knew how to make onion rings, thanks.
but whats the deal about "removes the acidity" ? is this for people that dont really like the taste of raw white onions ?
if so do you really need to soak overnight, can you just soak for awhile & then coat ? because I'd rather have that white onion taste.

The buttermilk adds flavor, like a buttermilk batter, but these are not battered they are floured, so it's a way to get that flavor in there and at the same time remove some of the harshness of the onion (not the flavor).

Back