• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Only 4 spots left, but still have 10 plants... what to plant?

I'm planting out 15 days before the last frost, it's been so warm and I'm gambling a bit. I have over 80 or so plants in the ground, have about 4 spots left but still have the following varieties in pots, which would you put in the ground?

Florida Wild
CAP 501 (C. chacoense)
Cumari do Para
Murupi Amarela
Datil
Bonda ma Jacques
Naga Morich (2 different types)
Sonoran Chiltepin
BGH 1725

Wild emphasis might be good. I have a number of varieties which are over-represented in the plot as is (yellow 7 pot to name one)... and a few that look weak. I could wait a week or so to see and maybe make some room too...

That sounds shockingly similar to my situation, including the varieties. I plan on just finding space for them. Even if they're overcrowded, some peppers are better than no peppers... personally, I don't see a harm in keeping the wilds in pots for their first year. My Mini Minis were neglected in 5 inch pots their entire first year, were successfully overwintered, and are now taking off.

(Not saying you should do this, but it's not like it takes much effort to stick plants in a small pot)

If you just cant fit them all i would go with the wilds. But thats just cause i have seen some great pics of wilds lately and have no personal experience with them...

I ended up in the same situation. I am still learning the micro climates in my yard. I scattered my plants and have made a map in case of a cold snap to make sure all were covered up ! I now use the map for the biweekly fish emulsions ! I would plant the Bonda ma Jacques in a location facing South in hopes of still harvesting in Sept/Oct. The wilds should make it anywhere.I have vowed to only pot rarer peppers for overwintering !!

Just to follow up on this, I put a bunch more in... diagonally as well as in the remaining designated spots. Everything looks fine, not too crammed. And even if they are a little too close, still better than in pots on my mostly shady patio.

Back