• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Oops, I Think I Did It This Time

Well, this is year number two for me growing this year, and I think I did it this time.  As I am in southern Manitoba and we had a crappy winter last year, very long and cold, followed by a crappy start to the season, very wet and rainy.  Then it went to a very hot and dry summer.  The gist of it is that many of my plants did not produce like they should have.  Yes, I am probably to blame as well, as I was a first year grower, but I did not get any supers till late in the season, late September to start getting anything much.  So, I thought I started in early February last year and I thought I would just get a bit more of a head start.  So, I sowed my seeds the first weekend of January I believe, then fast forward to today, and here are the results.  I do not have room for another greenhouse, which means no potting up either.  Doing lights and the such are also out of the question.  I do have approximately 100 live and apparently healthy plants going on here.  The winter was short, cold only a short time, and now we have no snow outside either.  But temperatures outside are still too cold.  I am hoping I could at least put all these outside in my garage in a couple of weeks so I can start getting them hardened off as I think my plant out date will be earlier than expected.  Anyways, if anyone has any ideas as to what I can do with my situation, I'm open to suggestions.  I do have buds on some, flowers on a couple.  I was just thinking of trying my hand at topping, but am scared.  Thanks.

ohzNyqM.jpg

8ZyGY4j.jpg

fW3UWjM.jpg

don't be scared my friend ! i start mine first of january to , i top them , heres one topped 3 weeks ago !   
IMG_0204-2.JPG

moruga welder said:
don't be scared my friend ! i start mine first of january to , i top them , heres one topped 3 weeks ago !   
attachicon.gif
IMG_0204-2.JPG
sry its sideways , it was normal in my downloads . 

Looking good! I've been having to keep topping mine so that they still fit under my lights and they keep coming back bushier. I'm hoping we have an early season this year!

meinchoh said:
Do some topping and cut back on lighting, water and ferts so they'll slow down their growth..

Oh! Great lookin' plant, Frank!
thanks my friend ! got lots more where that came from , quite a chore but worth it n the end . 

Ok. Now please refer to picture 2 or 3, left side of the photo. The plants are rather tall before any true leaves. Where would i best cut these things, I mean trim them? Thank you again.
Sorry for the post, but it is late here and I will take a better picture tomorrow afternoon of one of the plants in question so you can see better.
And here is a picture. Got up to take it, but hope it helps.

iDfUmY7.jpg

spicymeatball said:
I wouldn't top that one. I would repot and bury the stem up to the first true set of leaves.
they definitely need repotted and a little deeper , looks like you may have kept your light to far away . the nodes are spaced far away , i like to keep the lights right on them thus keeping the nodes very close while growing ,this will make for a stockier bushier plant 

Wish i could repot them, but i do not have the space, room, or supplies. They were nt under any lights. Only in the greenhuse in a South facing window. I wil be working on getting a light setup for next year though.

Well, the major offenders got some haircuts the other night and are doing well.  Now I am just hoping for warmer weather to get them out to the garage so start hardening off.

Back