• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Open Pollination ????

Hey guys, so I was thinking. I'm going to try to have a huge grow with many varieties. Thanks to thp members, I got really cool seeds. The question is since a lot are prob. Op. Whats the chances of having a crossed plant, instead of having what I'm trying to grow?

Depends on whether or not the OP were isolated or not. OP does NOT mean non-isolated, but OP can be isolated OR non-isolated, confused yet? In horticultural speak, OP generally means non-hybrid in terms of parent plants. For example heirlooms are all OP, but you should isolate them in order to mantain purity of traits. Not all OP are heirlooms. Are you even more confused? There are MANY people who misuse the term "Open-Pollinated" on this forum, and everytime I mention this common definition I get yelled at and called names, boohoo.  Yes, It is up to the individual whether or not they want to misuse it, and it has been misused so much, that it is probably too late to try and clear things up or use it right. Anyway.

I actually appreciate the differences you pointed out. Out of 110 plants roughly this season, I had 3 that were not true to what I planted. ALL were non isolated. :)

With the crazy amount of crosses and the craze over superhots,the terms get mixed up here. In general,most of us gardeners benefit from hybrids,the vigor,disease resistance,etc. I would love to see folks work on some stuff for shorter seasons. This is a hot chile site though and aiming for heat,and nasty looking skin is understandable. It's where the fast money is!

Cool, I was wondering because I want to know what the outcome pepper will be. Like if I grow Aji lemon from seed, I hope it will actually be a aji lemon. Thanks guys for helping me out on this subject.

Back