labels Opinion on this label?

Hey all,

I've had a couple of small delis here in Glasgow ask about stocking a sauce I make for friends and family due to enthusiastic mates talking to shop owners about it. Here's a label I came up with j what do you think? Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
KB

LSirg4B.jpg

KB,
nice design and theme.  It's kind of dark at the top of "SWEET" against the darker wood grain there.  If the wood can be lightened somehow, that would make "SWEET" stand out better.

Not sure what regulations are over there about "calling out " sub-ingredients and allergens.  You should talk with a licensing agent or health authority about that, but over here, things like soy sauce have to have all the sub ingredients listed.  Same thing for the chipotles if you're using canned chipotles in adobo.  Also, we have to have "Allergen Alert- contains SOY" .

That's great that you have some places interested in your sauce.  For your protection and theirs, I'd encourage you to research what it takes to get your home kitchen certified.  From what I've heard, it's fairly straightforward.

Have Fun!

Cheers for that. I thought it may be too dark at the top, so I'll go back and tweak the colours a bit. I've had my local council inspect my kitchen and they've said everything is in order.

As for listing ingredients, I've followed the guidelines of the Food Standards Agency over here so I think I'm good though adding the allergy advice is a good idea for a bit of extra safety.

Really like it, is it supposed to be branded? If so it would look a lot better if you could make it look more branded. This isn't the best example but it has the burned edges.
Also some red would make it pop, somewhere not sure, maybe those stars.

Cool~  Post up a revised image when you get the colors tweaked.  And you're not crowded on the label, so adding the allergy alert won't hurt anything.  Over here, my label says "..., butter (cream, salt)..." and I still have to add "contains MILK" to the label.  :rolleyes:  If someone has a dairy allergy, I think they'd know that cream is milk is dairy!

Maybe the stars and Chipotle Sauce in a deep red. Makes it pop. It also divides the name and the type of sauce. But your brain tells you exactly what it is faster. Maybe not the stars. I'd have to see it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's a guy who co-wrote a big pepper book in the Chileheads group on FB who apparently owns the trademark to the term "smokey chipotle". Trademarks are generally international, and this dude has reportedly made a nice living suing people over it.

Probably a good idea to go research the name & availability before getting too invested in the design.

That said, I like the general concept for your label.
:cheers:

The phrase "Smokey Chipotle", is registered with the US Patent office and it's listed as a US Trademark, don't see anything regarding international.

Here's the "one and only ORIGINAL " :rolleyes: website.  with it's list of violators.  This guy is even lists Whole Foods as a violator for selling "SMOKED CHIPOTLE Marinade" and another company for having a product called "Smokey Jose’s Chipotle Salsa" .  Anyway, these are all US companies.  I don't think he can do anything outside the US. 

Thanks for all the info! I've checked with the UK Intellectual Property Office and the term "Smokey Chipotle" isn't registered, so I'm safe from anyone with a fancy for lawsuits.

I've just given the text a bit of a halo to bring it out. I'll finish putting the text on, but overall, I'm fairly happy with how it looks.

piYm3JL.jpg

1) The yellow caused some "blueing" on some of the darker wood areas. Looks closely you can see some blue.
2) You moved the position of the stars. Move them back! LOL
3) I like the old one better. Looks more like branded wood. What happens if you turn that yellow to brown and lower the transparency to just give it a faint glow? Does it give it a little burn effect?

Whatever you go with, overall it is good.

I messed around with it last night, but when I get the real branded effect, the overall look is really dark. With the blueing though, I'll go back and try and fix that. I'm not too sure why that's happening?

It's the result of some effect, over the dark wood. Do you have yellow AND drop shadow? If so, kill the drop shadow.

With the select tool open the color box on the left and click in one of the light, yellowish sections of the wood and use this as your glow color. This will make it match what's in the wood but still pop. The yellow you've selected is too artificial.

Great! Now you just may want to center it top to bottom since you removed the weight text. And posty the finished one! :)

Just realized what's missing.....

Do you have a Business or Brand name?   "Sweet & Smoky Chipotle Sauce" seems to be the product name.  But who makes it?  What about when you come out with a second sauce?  How will folks know it's you again?

Barada's Best
Sweet
&
Smoky
Chipotle Sauce

Barada's Best
Green Jalapeno
Chunky Salsa

Barada's Best
Superhot Red Sauce

:lol:  OK, you get the idea..... 
and, yes, please post the revised!  We like pics!  :cool:

Also, are you required to have any contact information on the label?  "Made by..." etc? 

Back