• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

opinions on my process?

ok,
There are a bunch of threads out there, but wanted some of the experts out there to give opinions on my process.
I have been "dabbling" for 5-6 years now with making my own hot sauce. Something with a ton of flavor, not just heat.
1) de-stem and grind peppers.
2) Combine with 6% salt, 3% dry dextrose (additional food for the L.A. producing bugs), and a commercially purchased starter culture.
3) Place in warm room to ferment.  Usually hit a pH of <4.0 within 3-4 days and gas formation usually ends within 7-10 days if not sooner.  Usually finish between 3.2 and 3.5 pH.
4) Age fermented mash 3 +/- years.
5) "Final process" by adding vinegars, granulated onion and garlic, black pepper, roasted garlic, water, and a couple other secret (non vegetable) ingredients.  6)Everything goes in a commercial blender until finely chopped.
6) At this time I do not cook or heat process.
7) Finished product is roughly 1/3 the original mash, the rest vinegars, etc.
8) finished pH is generally around 3.3-3.4.
9) bottle in 5 oz woozie bottles.  Have used sauce bottled over a year, sitting on shelf not refrigerated with no apparent degradation of flavor.

Have never cooked it  I think I am safe?  Will cooking affect my taste/texture?  It is REALLY well liked as is by everyone who tries it.
So far have just given away to friends etc, am kicking around small scale sales...

Thoughts? 

Attachments

• IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 97
If you start selling it, you're probably going to have to cook it...unless you're only selling it as a refrigerated product.
Cooking will change the flavor some, depending on how long you cook it.  Do some research and see what the USDA recommends.  Depending on the acidity, you may not have to cook it very long, or at all.  It's been a while since I've read through all that stuff.

The Hot Pepper said:
I've had bottled sauce that is raw and never been cooked by smaller manufacturers.

As have I.  Tobasco is not cooked either.  IIRC Sriacha isn't either but I could be wrong. 

Welcome to THP Greg88!

Your process as described seems sound and safe.  A process authority would need to sign off on its production if you want to step into sales.  When (if) that time draws near flesh out your process with specifics like "The sauce is aged here in this temperature controlled squeaky clean warehouse" not in a beer jug sitting in your back shed.  Also make sure you're using proper sanitation (sterilize the bottles before bottling, all utensils, etc).  Beyond that your sauce & methods look good.  Let me know if you want to trade sometime.  :)

As the others have mentioned, Tabasco and Sriracha are both not cooked.  (IIRC)...  But they have specific requirements for their processes.  Whatever process you use, it will have to go through a process authority.  Start right now, get ahold of your local licensing agency, and also contact a process authority.  It is a bit of a process, but lots of people have gone through it all to get licensed.  Work with your local jurisdictions.  It's their job to help new businesses. 

:Welcome:  Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

SL

Side note- 6% salt sounds high compared to what a lot of others use.  A lot are around the 4% mark.  Hoy Fong Sriracha tastes really salty to me, personally, and that goes back to personal taste.  

Also you can use items like apples which will add a lot of sugars for the GoodBugs, apples will add bulk to the whole batch, and they will not effect the overall taste very much,  and will look better on the label than "dextrose".  

again...Have FUN!

salsalady said:
Side note- 6% salt sounds high compared to what a lot of others use.  A lot are around the 4% mark.  Hoy Fong Sriracha tastes really salty to me, personally, and that goes back to personal taste.  

Also you can use items like apples which will add a lot of sugars for the GoodBugs, apples will add bulk to the whole batch, and they will not effect the overall taste very much,  and will look better on the label than "dextrose".  

again...Have FUN!

Salsa lady, 6% is in the Mash.  (although I have used less in the past and may reduce a bit.) in the finished product is it around 2.4%. Where is that compared to most?? I may drop it a bit.

SmokenFire said:

As have I.  Tobasco is not cooked either.  IIRC Sriacha isn't either but I could be wrong. 

Welcome to THP Greg88!

Your process as described seems sound and safe.  A process authority would need to sign off on its production if you want to step into sales.  When (if) that time draws near flesh out your process with specifics like "The sauce is aged here in this temperature controlled squeaky clean warehouse" not in a beer jug sitting in your back shed.  Also make sure you're using proper sanitation (sterilize the bottles before bottling, all utensils, etc).  Beyond that your sauce & methods look good.  Let me know if you want to trade sometime.  :)
I would be happy to trade, let me know.  Be forewarned.  you may be disappointed. Mine is not over the top hot, just a good comfortable heat with a ton of flavor.

The Hot Pepper said:
dextrose hater!
:lol:  Not Really~~~

SmokenFire said:

"Apples" sound a lot better than "dextrose" though. (YEP!)  Pink Lady Apples.  Or "Royal Empire Apples".  Royal Empire is my favorite apple of all time.
I used Pink Ladys in a red jalapeno ferment, Yummy!

Greg88 said:

Salsa lady, 6% is in the Mash.  (although I have used less in the past and may reduce a bit.) in the finished product is it around 2.4%. Where is that compared to most?? I may drop it a bit.
Just going from comments in the Fermenting 101 thread and other ferment threads, most start with about 4% salt by weight of vegetables/peppers.  Some have started with 2% or even none, although with the lesser amounts, they usually use a starter of some kind. Lots of options and one is not necessarily better than another. 2.4% in the finished product does sound better.

Greg88 said:
I would be happy to trade, let me know.  Be forewarned.  you may be disappointed. Mine is not over the top hot, just a good comfortable heat with a ton of flavor.
Most people do not eat screaming hot sauces.  Those of us around here are the minority and actually, I prefer sauces in the 4-6 out of 10 heat range. 

I personally don't like a really strong fermented flavor and often add more fresh ingredients of the same ingredients in the ferment at the end to cut the fermented flavor.  It's all about personal preference.  If you like it, then it's a winner.

SL

Back