• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Orange Dorset Naga Pics

Hello all.

I found this on my plant today and it looks fully ripe:

So I am thinking... Isn't pod variation selection the way to get new varieties besides crossing? Choosing the mutants to carry on the genetics?

Maybe I am ahead of myself here, maybe it will ripen to red but what if it does not? Could I save the seeds  and try to see if I get mostly orange pods next year to try to develop a new variety, even if only for my own amusement? ( If there isn't an orange one already )

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the random orange pods before but what do you think? Should I give it a go or is it a dumb idea?

It's not a dumb idea at all IMO

I've personally isolated and self pollinated a plant that started growing with three cotyledons and grew at almost twice the rate of my other seedlings. The jury is out wether three cotyledons is even beneficial. From what I've seen it is. I have no idea if the mutation will even pass on... time will tell.

I say go for it... that's part of the fun of the hobby for me.

I've not grown Dorset Nagas but I have grown Naga Morich peppers for the past two years.  The Naga Morich go from orange to red.  Dorset Nagas are in essence Naga Morich that have been selectively bred for several generations.  So I would expect your Dorset Naga to behave the same.  Let it sit on the plant for a few more days and you should find it will go to red.

Well., the thing is, that I have harvested tons of peppers from this plant already and look at it everyday. This is the first time I have seen this happen. I will definitely let it sit awhile, but if it stays that way I will save the seeds as orange dorset and see what happens next year.

I am not about to go spreading it around as that. Consider it my personal experiment.

If the rest of the pods are red, this one will be too. Even if it doesn't appear to ripen properly, the genetic characteristic for color that it will carry is for red pod color, because it shares the same DNA as the rest of the plant. The only thing that may differ are the seeds, as different flowers may have been pollinated by different varieties.

Pick pods from your favorite plant, nevermind which specific pods you get the seed from, unless you know which have been pollenated by the male parent variety of your preference. Others may disagree with this, but my reasoning here is that any pepper on the same plant will carry the same traits, the only potential difference between pods is which variety they were pollenated by.

The pods on my recently acquired Dorset Naga have begun to ripen, they have turned black then the black area turned red within 24Hrs.

Back