Orange Habanero dropping buds

I have a fairly well established orange hab in a 3 gallon pot. Plant was topped about 6 weeks ago and the results were fanominal. the plant is still setting flowers and producing new pods, but it is also dropping a considerable amount of buds. (not an alarming amount) but a noticable amount.

The plants way of shedding what it cannot support and retaining a balance of what it can or is that overthinking it?

You got it. It is usually in response to heat, but can happen when nutrients are imbalanced. Get em in the shade if its hot, water in morning or evening, and give em a foliar spray of epsom salt. Dosing with some phosphorus will help them to set pods and fruit up well.
You got it. It is usually in response to heat, but can happen when nutrients are imbalanced. Get em in the shade if its hot, water in morning or evening, and give em a foliar spray of epsom salt. Dosing with some phosphorus will help them to set pods and fruit up well too.

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot 
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Its normal I find for chinense. When you look at how many flowers are clumped together and then try to imagine them all as mature pods next to each you realise that it just isn't going to happen. I've always figured that chinense plant's produce more flowers to maximise the plant's chances of producing pods, especially as their flowers are rather delicate things compared to say... a Jalapeno flower.

A healthy (average sized) chinense plant will produce 100's of flowers at any one time but it will never have the same amount of pod's at any one time.

Thanks for all the great answers. I thought as much on the over production but I really wanted confirmation. I did hit it with a little ES as a precaution.

Back