• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Orange Habanero is Sweet!!!

So two weeks ago I tried a orange hab. I got from the super market. Well it tasted like crap and was really hot. Well a person gave me a little bag of 8 garden grown orange Habs. They tasted better, but still was too hot for me to really taste it. Every few days I'm trying to eat a pod to build up my tolerance. So today I ate whole pod and boy was it good! The flavor really came through and the taste was amazing. Now I know what people are talking about when it comes to the hab. Plus now I can handle its heat and not need any milk :) I really need to grow these next year.

Habs are the very pepper that got me interested in growing peppers to begin with. At the time, it was the hottest pepper i had ever heard of! Opened up a whole new world for me. Much love to the tropical island flavor of the hab. Growing yellow scotch bonnets now, which are even fruitier!

howardsnm1 said:
yes the habs are one of my favorites too, but you should try the others too each has a different flavor and smell. My new favorite hab is the white bullet hab. small but packs the same hab punch..

I'm growing Peruvian white habs this year too.... good stuff!

Habs.
The gateway drug of choice. :party:

Then you try some Scotch Bonnets, just to see which is hotter.

Then you try for hotter bites, or different flavors.

On my "hab tree" I think I have decided on the Bahamian Goat as "best of class". There may be better, and I have only recently had a couple of them.
Aji Pineapple as my favorite baccatum.

As for 7pots---impossible, as there is a new one every couple weeks.

i totally agree with the aji pineapple... not only is it my best producer in terms of actual weight... but it actually tastes like pineapples (no joke... it tastes like a slice of pineapple)..... and has a tolerable heat.

First taste of one last week, and was blown away.
Now I am coveting the few I have left, and #2 on my grow list next year. (SB7J is #1)

Yah I'm growing the aji pineapple, aji limon, white bullet hab, bishops corn, trinidad perfume, tobasco, congo red hab, fatall, a variety of 7pods, just to name a few next year. I want to have a wide spectrum of flavors.

Noah Yates said:
Yeah... I actually love the taste of orange habs too... to me they are fruity and sweet as well.  especially stuffed with some good cheese and roasted over the fire.

Or*  sliced into 1'' long, thin strips and sauteed into some ground turkey or pork sausage to go with some alfredo pasta (with some creme of mushroom soup and a small splash of kraft beu cheese dressing in the mix)... and pearl onions and poblanos.... sprinkle some cold italian 5 cheese blend onto the plated dish......  there ya go. enjoy ;)    #pro-tip :party:  be aware that the final flavor profile of this recipe is RICH upon RICH

Back