• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Orange Habanero Review

This review is a little strange since I didn't buy the seeds anywhere online.  I took a particularly hot Orange Habanero from the supermarket and planted the seeds to grow out.

First time I ever ate a whole Orange Habanero.  Yes i'm a newbie and yes this is the hottest pepper i've eaten yet.

https://youtu.be/Ga7j-XeJroY

SavinaRed said:
well done now you can grow a reaper  :)
Tardis, if you can grow a plant from the seeds of a supermarket pod then I have full faith & confidence that you will be able to grow a plant from good seed stock.

Keep eating those pods, practice makes perfect ;)

I remember once eating a habanero. Then, while swallowing it, i coughed -- and somehow cough/sneezed my sinuses full of habanero juice and pulp !!! I made the strangest sounds for a while... ouch.

Somehow, this review brings back that memory.

Yeah, they're hot. Some Habanero strains have much better flavor than others. My culinary experience is limited, but some habs are much richer-tasting than the supermarket orange habs available in my country. Ask around in this forum for some habs with good taste.

Those orange store-bought habs are just nasty! It's the hottest thing my brother can eat as well, and I think we may have eaten the same ones you bought from the supermarket!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlg83mlmOBo[/media]

HA

Coup said:
Those orange store-bought habs are just nasty! It's the hottest thing my brother can eat as well, and I think we may have eaten the same ones you bought from the supermarket!

HAHA NICE!! Great video!

I bought them at the supermarket and then planted the seeds from a very hot one late 2015.  They got ripe just this week.

Maligator said:
Tardis, if you can grow a plant from the seeds of a supermarket pod then I have full faith & confidence that you will be able to grow a plant from good seed stock.

Keep eating those pods, practice makes perfect ;)
Is it generally difficult to grow seed from supermarket peppers? I have only tried once, and had 100% germ rate. The little woman was eating a orange bell so I grew her some

LordHill said:
Is it generally difficult to grow seed from supermarket peppers? I have only tried once, and had 100% germ rate. The little woman was eating a orange bell so I grew her some
Honestly I don't know.  I just normally grow from seeds I purchase online from various sites.  This I liked the orange hab and thought Why not try it from this, and it worked. Not sure which is supposed to be easier.

I wasn't insinuating that growing a pepper from store bought pods was any more difficult than from seeds purchased from a reputable vendor. I was alluding to the fact that he has many more options to choose from.

Finished off the above reply with an attempt at levity about eating more hot pepper pods ;)

Maligator said:
I wasn't insinuating that growing a pepper from store bought pods was any more difficult than from seeds purchased from a reputable vendor. I was alluding to the fact that he has many more options to choose from.

Finished off the above reply with an attempt at levity about eating more hot pepper pods ;)
Santa Fe Grand ripens next.  Might not be super hot, but its always on sale for $0.50 for a pack of 25

Coup said:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlg83mlmOBo[/media]
The saddest cut of all, at least, in my country's grocery stores, is the fact that the only Capsicum chinense fruit -- and the only appreciably hot pepper -- is so sadly mis-represented by the orange hab: although it has a heat comparable to a Scotch Bonnet or a Genuine Habanero, it has a hideous metallic/salty/bitter taste and after-taste that dis-recommends itself most vehemently....

I've had the pleasure of sampling Habaneros that had that fresh plum/dried apricot fruity fore-taste, that smoky -- yup, literally a hardwood smokehouse flavor --and that caramelised sugar/ maple syrup aftertaste. There is a lot to be said for it...

... but i digress: Coup, i think your brother was brave to merely face the TASTE of the produce-counter habs... let alone the heat of 'em. This is a young fella who hasn't had much of a chance to build a capsaicinoid tolerance, who yet had his game face on and tackled an approximately 200,000 Scoville Heat Unit pepper. Nicely done!

Tardis said:
Santa Fe Grand ripens next.  Might not be super hot, but its always on sale for $0.50 for a pack of 25
Meh, as I have stated in other posts in other threads: I am partial peppers with good flavor. Doesn't matter to me if they are mild or superhot.

Each growing season I like to try a new pepper variety and I do rely on reviews by the growers here on THP ;)

mikeg said:
The saddest cut of all, at least, in my country's grocery stores, is the fact that the only Capsicum chinense fruit -- and the only appreciably hot pepper -- is so sadly mis-represented by the orange hab: although it has a heat comparable to a Scotch Bonnet or a Genuine Habanero, it has a hideous metallic/salty/bitter taste and after-taste that dis-recommends itself most vehemently....

I've had the pleasure of sampling Habaneros that had that fresh plum/dried apricot fruity fore-taste, that smoky -- yup, literally a hardwood smokehouse flavor --and that caramelised sugar/ maple syrup aftertaste. There is a lot to be said for it...

... but i digress: Coup, i think your brother was brave to merely face the TASTE of the produce-counter habs... let alone the heat of 'em. This is a young fella who hasn't had much of a chance to build a capsaicinoid tolerance, who yet had his game face on and tackled an approximately 200,000 Scoville Heat Unit pepper. Nicely done!

Haha this is true! Store habs are terrible in flavor, while I keep hearing about how all these home-grown peppers taste lightyears better! I'm excited to dig into my first ones - I already have plump varieties growing on the plants!

Spicy Mushroom said:
Coup you and your brother need to Youtube channel your own pepper reviews. The story of bringing your brother up to chili-head status. You two have good screen presence together. 

Haha we're going to be eating all the peppers I grow this year in order of heat. He's trying to tolerate spice like I do, so we'll get him there!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Tardis. >.<

Coup said:
Haha this is true! Store habs are terrible in flavor, while I keep hearing about how all these home-grown peppers taste lightyears better! I'm excited to dig into my first ones - I already have plump varieties growing on the plants!
You'll taste quite a difference-!! Try an MOA Scotch Bonnet or even a superhot as tasty as a 7-Pot Jonah (i poach a dried Jonah in my soup just about every other day) and see how goo-oo-ood it tastes...

...the 7-Pot Jonah, by the way, has become a pre-requisite flavor in a pot of chili... there's something about that taste...

'S'cuse me, Tardis, i think i'm hi-jacking this thread. I look forward to your next review.

mikeg said:
You'll taste quite a difference-!! Try an MOA Scotch Bonnet or even a superhot as tasty as a 7-Pot Jonah (i poach a dried Jonah in my soup just about every other day) and see how goo-oo-ood it tastes...

...the 7-Pot Jonah, by the way, has become a pre-requisite flavor in a pot of chili... there's something about that taste...

'S'cuse me, Tardis, i think i'm hi-jacking this thread. I look forward to your next review.

I actually have a bunch of SB7Js and MOA SB's growing under LEDs right now. :D

mpicante said:
Nice review.So now perhaps on to hotter varieties!
I've been worrying about this lately....  My carolina reapers are full sized and green but I work 7 days a week and don't see myself suffering that long.
Coup said:

Haha we're going to be eating all the peppers I grow this year in order of heat. He's trying to tolerate spice like I do, so we'll get him there!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Tardis. >.<
LOL no worries Coup! I look forward to your videos eating hotter Peppers!!!

Back