• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Orange habs 6.99 / lb.

Just a little FYI, I was at the Kroger store today and walked past the peppers (I always do) and the Orange Habs were 6.99 a lb. Wow thats expensive.

Dale

Dale,

Maybe? How many are in a pound? And are they in season where you are at (I don't remember your location)?

Except for a specialty market such as Jungle Jim's, I don't see any stores selling hot peppers in Cincy.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

In Oz if you can find them in Fruit and veg shops they go for about $12 a kilo (2.2 pound to a kilo.) you get about 45 to 55 to a kilo roughly.
there still a bit obscure for most people down here.

I've seen woolies sells them in 100 gm packs for $4 each... someones making money eh.
$20 a kilo is a bit expensive at Rocklea.. but this year has been like that.
I got 10 kilo in July for just over a $100 but I only got that price because I got the whole 10 kilo he had.

thats why we need a farm bent.....

I saw red habs in the store for the first time and they were only $3.99 per pound. It surprised me that they were that cheap. I also noticed some pricey spanish peppers(annuums) at Walmart, but can't remember what kind or the price.

Our grocery stores usually always sucks for peppers. I found the nice looking red habs at PriceChoppers if you happen to have one of those around.

I know this thread was about the price of Habs, but my friend asks his local greengrocer to order Scotch Bonnets for me and pays him the price he gets them from the wholesaler which is £23 GBP for 3kg. I don't know if this is cheap or not. I'm always very pleased with them as they are very fresh as if they've just been picked from the plant, a lot fresher than the supermarkets.

last week I bought some orange habs, they were $5.99 a pound. I wish they were cheaper, but dont we all ? :lol: I still bought some since I didnt have any fresh chiles around. what I really wish for is that the grocery stores in this area offer different kinds of chiles, its always the same (which gets old) orange habs (good one),jalapenos :rolleyes:,serranos never ripe ones & this is a hit or miss if they have them.

I should take a picture of the mushy green jalapenos they try to sell at my supermarket. They are disgusting looking and are right beside beautiful bell peppers. The only other variety they sell are cubanelles and of course they are green/yellow and not ripe but decent looking.

potawie - since you said "mushy" I remembered on very rare occasions they sell fresnos in a sealed package & of course they have some mold growing on them :rolleyes: like someone would really buy them. yea we have the basic green/red/yellow/orange bells & they seem fresh most times. but I want fresh HOT chiles & the orange hab is getting old to me.

I work at Albertsons here and will ask the produce guys what they sell Habs for. I do know they come a package of 4 to 5.

I don't mind paying, I would just like some variety. Jalapenos for 1.99/lb will spoil you lol. I make smoked green powder all the time. I only grow them to get red ones. Dried habs, poblanos, cayenne, chipotle, cubanelle etc. are dirt cheap. I would pay more.

$5 gets me 70 or so jalapenos, they are almost too cheap. I take them for granted.

I wish I could get habs for $6.99 a pound. though I did get a major win last week - I bought 1kg of red hab puree off ebay, from the actual manufacturer, delivered to my door for $16.50!

not only that, I now have a contact there who will sell direct to me. great news as my season has had a rough start.

find out who is the supplier of the peppers to the stores in your local area, and that's where you want to buy your peppers from. where I go here in Chicago it's cash only, but so what. if i happen to see that any local market has habeneros on hand, n im running low on my supply, i call the distributor. the smallest amount that i can purchase though is 1 half bushel (about 10 pounds)but that's no problem for me, i dehydrate most of it, n then freeze the rest. figure on cutting your costs for peppers in half at least.

6.99????

thepodpiper said:
Just a little FYI, I was at the Kroger store today and walked past the peppers (I always do) and the Orange Habs were 6.99 a lb. Wow thats expensive.

Dale
WOW I only buy them in large boxes for my jerky,, but i needed just to get a pound or two yesterday. I went to pathmark by me and they had orange Habs for just 3.99 a pound!!!!! im not sure what im surprized at more 3.99 lb or that pathmark had them for sale.If your dont know what pathmark is its a LARGE chain in NJ.First time i have seen a large chain store like this carry habs...wooo hooo:onfire:

Back