• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Orange Tree Has Set Fruit

Several months ago, I ordered a dwarf orange tree. For a long time, it was in a DWC system under a 400 watt MH bulb. It grew very, very slowly then finally started adding a leaf or two. About six weeks ago, I moved it under a 125 LED panel and a couple weeks later, it started blooming. At least three of the blooms have turned into fruit. Now, the waiting begins.

According to a couple of sites, it will take from 5-18 months to ripen! Now that's a long wait!

Mike

I just recently picked 3 lemons off my lemon bush and they took maybe 3 months to ripen and now is loaded with flowers. I couldn't see oranges taking over a year to ripen, it just doesn't sound right to me

and who said you had to live in florida to grow oranges?

remember, a day without orange juice is like a day without sunshine - anita bryant.

i have a 3" tree i planted from seed in front of me....i don't expect it will ever produce any fruit but once it gets growing will make a nice house plant.

i did read however, that orange trees started from grafting produce better than those that were started from seed and many started from seed never produce.

remember, a day without orange juice is like a day without sunshine - anita bryant.

i have a 3" tree i planted from seed in front of me....i don't expect it will ever produce any fruit but once it gets growing will make a nice house plant.

i did read however, that orange trees started from grafting produce better than those that were started from seed and many started from seed never produce.

I just recently picked 3 lemons off my lemon bush and they took maybe 3 months to ripen and now is loaded with flowers. I couldn't see oranges taking over a year to ripen, it just doesn't sound right to me

Me either! Three months sounds great - I would have them ready for the county fair. Probably the only person to enter a home-grown orange!

From what I understand, most fruit, including citrus trees, are from grafts. The rootstock is the most important thing - it determines how large the tree grows, its tolerance of diseases, type of soil it likes the best. After doing quite a bit of Googling, I ended up buying my cherry (and will buy the apples, peach and apricot) from a place that uses the very best rootstock. More expensive - generally $10-15 per tree but 1) they are double the size and 2) they should do much better in my climate.

Mike

Here they take about 3 months. As for graftings not all are grafted for good fruit, most here are cuttings LOL LOL Ah haaaa.... we have only one orange type thats grafted its like a mandarin type with great fruit. Lots of great kinds from seeds taste not so good even bad. Have some grown from seeds here for sale,,,,, I'll never buy another with out tasteing the fruit.

Back