Order for starting species

I have most of my Chinense's underway for plant out 1st October.  I can only germinate so many at a time so need to make a decision about which order to do the remaining ones in.  Remaining seeds are Annuums, Frutescens and Baccatums.  Essentially my question is which will take the longest to fruit as these will be the ones I will germinate first.  I did search this topic as I guess others must make similar decisions but all I could find is a suggestion that Annuums are relatively quick to fruit.  Any advice would be most appreciated - thanks!

Depends on the conditions and how often you transplant them, more transplants = slower growing

first pic is chocolate bhut on May 26th second is July 15th....this was my first grow and I'm sure you can get growth a lot faster than this

may26%20chocolate%20bhut.jpg

july%20010.jpg

Thanks for the reply CactusMD.  Ignoring growing conditions and repotting etc I guess I was after a general rule of thumb by species.  Longest to shortest: Chinense, Baccatum, Frutescens, Annum sort of thing.

Honestly, if it was me, I would germ everything by picking a few slow growers and add in a variety or two of ones I really want and an annuum or two.... and then make similar decisions for the other cycles.... I'm the only one who uses them, so a few pods continuously through the grow is better than a ton all at once....

For anyone else interested in this question, from my experience, the order from fastest to slowest (days till 50% germ) is:

Annuum (6)
Baccatum (12)
Frutescens (13)
Chinense (17)

No pubes in this years grow.  I know there are many variables but this would be a useful rule of thumb. Frutescens was represented by only one variety (Bradley Bahamian) so don't bet the house on the result. Chinense had the largest range from 6 days to 28, 50% germ.

Robisburning said:
For anyone else interested in this question, from my experience, the order from fastest to slowest (days till 50% germ) is:

Annuum (6)
Baccatum (12)
Frutescens (13)
Chinense (17)

No pubes in this years grow.  I know there are many variables but this would be a useful rule of thumb. Frutescens was represented by only one variety (Bradley Bahamian) so don't be the house on the result. Chenense had the largest range from 6 days to 28, 50% germ.
That order looks accurate,the numbers will be different for each individual person, depending on germ technique and seed viability/freshness.

To get back to your original question. Different varieties in a species will grow and ripen at different rates(seed quality again). I have grown a few kinds of poblano(annuum) that have taken forever to ripen,longer than supers even. I run into the problem of space now,not so much ripening time. Some varieties sprawl out and hog up the indoor space. It's hard to plan for that when you have never grown that specific type of chile before. We all still learn as we go,that is part of the fun.Good luck with your season!

Thanks Prodigal_son.  My question was definitely based on a lack of space also as I have found the perfect nook above the hot water cylinder but can only get about 10 types germinating at once which sounds fine but with around 60 varieties it was a 3 month operation to get them all germinated.  Just getting the dredges potted up now.  6 weeks until they can go in the ground which feels like a rush given the last of them have just germinated. That said my overwinters are starting to show signs of life so I anticipate as the daylight hours get longer the growth gate on the windowsill will increase.

from what ive been told for rule of thumb, the hotter the pepper the longer it takes lol.. so c.chinense's are the longest, from what ive seen they didnt start getting pods until my other types were loaded in peppers

From what I have seen there is no correlation between heat and germination time within a given species. I would suggest the largest determining factor is vendor i.e. seed quality.  I had 1 vendor (from a local e-bay equivalent) send me 4 packets of seeds with very low germ rates and long germ times.  Another vendor sent me 10 packets and each type had 80%+ germ and incredibly quick germ times. 

Balduvian, if you are talking about time to producing pods then I have no idea.  I wouldn't be surprised if it roughly follows the germinating order.

I am keeping track of sow date, transfer dates and harvests and yields on a spread sheet.  I will post it up for interests sake after the grow season is over in New Zealand.

Back