• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Organic Compost Circle raised beds and Hot Peppers, Just add Sunshine

Hi Chili Heads

Here is a few pics of planting the raised beds, 20 beds in all and 20 more planed for this year along with a 30ft X 50ft Cedar log heated green house.

My favorit time of the year!

If you would like to see a little more here is a link, My link

Raised_Circle_Beds_tile.jpg

Thanks Guys,

To answer your ? pepper man, I grew a little over 1 thousand last year, plan to up the anti this year.

I got a few PM's asking for some more pics, here you go,

May the pepper gods be good to everyone! Cheers, SC

Garden_Pic_001_tile.jpg

Very cool setup. Are those beds portable and get setup in different locations or permanent?

Grettings LGHT
Thanks.
Sometimes I wish they were portable, but every pipe is driven into the ground about a foot.
In the spring I fill those pipes with water, on sunny days they heat up and help maintain soil temps at night.

SC

What a beautiful place you've got there Jeff...
The round garden is very cool...its like the ultimate in container gardening.
Good luck this season.
CM

Nice set up, and great pics. How are the pipes held together?

Bottoms are in the ground a foot.

I Screwed the pipes together at the top from both direction as you can see in the pic, but after a few years now I can see that It will not be enough. the pipes them selfs are starting to elongate at the top from the pressure.

When spring rolls around I will remove some of the dirt from around the outside to the middle, re ratchet strap them and band them with a steel strap about 6 inches down from the top, then they will be good for many years to come. unless some one has a better idea! love to here it.

SC

Raised_Circle_Beds_011.JPG

What a beautiful place you've got there Jeff...
The round garden is very cool...its like the ultimate in container gardening.
Good luck this season.
CM

Thanks Chili Monsta

Wow you got yourself Quite the grow list for this year, and I see your favorite peppers are Chiltepin, I have maybe a couple of oz's of those dried; if you want I can throw them in on your order, free of coarse.

I hope you got my return PM and thanks for the order,

Cheers, SC

My first thought was fill the pipe with concrete. Then when you band them again you won't have any flex. Do you have any rock in the bottom for drainage?

PS. I might just steal your container idea blatantly in my back yard. Those look sweet =) Props to Spicy Cicken of course!

Hi Chili Heads

Here is a few pics of planting the raised beds, 20 beds in all and 20 more planed for this year along with a 30ft X 50ft Cedar log heated green house.

My favorit time of the year!

If you would like to see a little more here is a link,

My link

Raised_Circle_Beds_tile.jpg

Wow those beds are sick thats a really good idea. You got a whole fuckin pepper farm goin on there thats awesome.

Thanks Chili Monsta

Wow you got yourself Quite the grow list for this year, and I see your favorite peppers are Chiltepin, I have maybe a couple of oz's of those dried; if you want I can throw them in on your order, free of coarse.

I hope you got my return PM and thanks for the order,

Cheers, SC

In those earlier pictures is that black pearl your growing there?

Hay OC

Its actually a tepin, many varieties, this one is a Chiltepin, bird pepper that grows wild in warm climates, birds eat them and spread the seeds.

Cheers, SC

Hay OC

Its actually a tepin, many varieties, this one is a Chiltepin, bird pepper that grows wild in warm climates, birds eat them and spread the seeds.

Cheers, SC

Ahh so its an ornamental i see. I grow a similiar variety called black pearl that looks very similar with black peppers. Much too hot for human consumption though, or it's not recomended. Thanks SC. Hey I was wondering in your other post what was the soil you were using underneath that compost? It looks sandy. What soil mix do you use for your peppers? I tend to use mostly manure with some drainage material added and mulch on top. Also me being a new pepper farmer im still learning how to produce the best peppers and the highest yields. My biggest concern right now is what type of fertilizer to use. What would you recomeend? I've been using fish emulsion and epsom salts but i'm open to trying new stuff.

OC

To answer your question OC

I use a sand top soil, nothing to heavy, and drains well, peppers like water but in my experience they don't like wet feet all the time. I like them to struggle from time to time; think it builds resistance.

The sandier soil stays more fluffy and the roots penetrate faster, The plant will live on what you give them and I use the same fertilizers you mentioned, good choice in my opinion.

My first thought was fill the pipe with concrete. Then when you band them again you won't have any flex. Do you have any rock in the bottom for drainage?

PS. I might just steal your container idea blatantly in my back yard. Those look sweet =) Props to Spicy Cicken of course!

Hay Woody3

Good advice, Good advice!

You got me thinking, There are not rocks in the pips now, thinking after banding i could fill em with pea gravel and top the last 4 to 6 inches with concrete, I don't have any issues with pipes lower then 6 inches from the top, and the pea gravel wil act just like the water and hold the heat.

Thanks for the advice: Cheers, SC

To answer your question OC

I use a sand top soil, nothing to heavy, and drains well, peppers like water but in my experience they don't like wet feet all the time. I like them to struggle from time to time; think it builds resistance.

The sandier soil stays more fluffy and the roots penetrate faster, The plant will live on what you give them and I use the same fertilizers you mentioned, good choice in my opinion.

Thx SC I apreciate the input.

Back