• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Organic Insect Control

I dunno, it makes Aphids (the immortal spawns of Satan) sound so vulnerable. too good to be true?

Without examining every single box on the chart, it looks to be reasonably accurate. Of course, they're only listing stuff they're selling, so, buyer beware.

agree on the "buyer beware" part Pam...

I just thougth it would be a good reference for folks (if it was acccurate). I know how many questions I had last year that you answered and I thank you for that. I think I am going to start calling you "Dr. Pam".

Omri said:
I dunno, it makes Aphids (the immortal spawns of Satan) sound so vulnerable. too good to be true?

They are vulnerable. Unfortunately, they're also little replicating demons! Remember, in the summer females reproduce asexually, producing 10 to 15 eggs a day, and that the egg can go to reproducing adult in a week.

That's why I prefer ladybugs to chemicals whenever possible, the ladybugs keep them under control.

you know, you are right Pam, the site I linked to did not reference any "predator" controls...

I had a bunch of lacewing and lady bug larvae on my plants this past summer and think that was the reason my aphid problem was reduced to almost nothing...

When it comes to aphids lady bugs are the bomb! Little alien predators they are.

I've got four plants still green and slowly growing in a spare bedroom, my overwintering project, and I've been dealing with the little savages the entire time. I picked up some "natural" aphid killer and although it hasn't totally beat them down their numbers are very small. It's one of those insecticidal soaps you spray on every few weeks.

This summer I'm seriously considering ordering a few thousand lady bugs for pest control.

I use predators here and there, but most bugs just don't seem to mind chemical or any other intervention.

Omri said:
I use predators here and there, but most bugs just don't seem to mind chemical or any other intervention.

And did you *ask* them if they minded?

I mean, here you are, a fine, upstanding asexual aphid, sucking plant juices and popping out eggs like a fine, upstanding asexual aphid should, and all of a sudden, some gender-inflexible non-aphid male shows up and starts spraying you and all you sister-daughters, and those kindly ants that help you move around with some nasty toxic solution! You can't complain to your neighborhood association, because they got sprayed, too, and now this humanoid asshole is bringing in those vulgar ladybugs, and, well, there goes the neighborhood!

Pam said:
And did you *ask* them if they minded?

I mean, here you are, a fine, upstanding asexual aphid, sucking plant juices and popping out eggs like a fine, upstanding asexual aphid should, and all of a sudden, some gender-inflexible non-aphid male shows up and starts spraying you and all you sister-daughters, and those kindly ants that help you move around with some nasty toxic solution! You can't complain to your neighborhood association, because they got sprayed, too, and now this humanoid asshole is bringing in those vulgar ladybugs, and, well, there goes the neighborhood!
Well they do seem to mind (even if just a little) those ladybugs... I guess I never thought about it that way. :lol:

Omri said:

Well, I know something that is NOT too good to be true and that is Ladybugs. I use them everywinter; they feed, breed, and make great guardians for my plants! If I can find the photos, I've got some great ones for you guys. One year I just captured about 20 ladybugs in a coke bottle and released them into my sun room and within 2 weeks from that point I had a regular lady bug metropolis, fully inhabited by adults and larvae alike! It is unreal:) Never looked back after that...

edit: oh yeah, Mantis will do well too! Can only have 1 or two though...they dont play well together, trust me! lol

Back