• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Organic mulch

As you may know, I try to do total organic growing.

I have never used mulch.

I am tired of pulling weeds and grass from my raised beds.

Is there a totally organic mulch, that is, with no dyes or other additives?

I signed up for chipdrop.com. ive ended up getting 1 load last year and one this year. My goal is to have the whole back yard covered in chips, cause I hate mowing and weed eating.
I think you could also use straw, maybe find an organic wheat farmer.
Its hard telling what was sprayed on straw or even the trees that the chips came from.

I used the leaves from my front yard to mulch one of my raised beds. It seems to work pretty good, and I think I remember a youtube comparison where it did better than wood chips.
I should have drive around and picked up other peoples leaves and got another area covered.
Its so muddy here that if I didn't have a mulched area I wouldnt have anything planted yet. I only have about 12 plants in anyway. Planted May 3 last year SMH.

alkhall said:
As you may know, I try to do total organic growing.

I have never used mulch.

I am tired of pulling weeds and grass from my raised beds.

Is there a totally organic mulch, that is, with no dyes or other additives?

Pine bark fines.  Leaves from your yard.  Lawn and grass clippings from your yard.  Pine needles, if available.
In my yard, absolutely nothing (from the landscape) goes to the curb.  If the city can turn it into greenwaste, why can't I?

That is why i didnt buy any. I was concerned it might have a negative effect. Ive got a big cedar or some kinda pine in the neighbors yard. It over hangs on to our property and very little will grow under it. Ive noticed this under many pines. If you see needles you dont see much else growing there. I was under the impression it effects pH of the soil.

I used leftover Rhino EZ-Straw in my stuff this year. I bought more than i needed for a lawn project. The stuff dont seem to move once you wet it. Its endured several storms with high winds sofar. The tacking agent is supposed to be like xanthan gum of something. I use it mainly to help retain soil moisture.
FDQBCl2.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
That is why i didnt buy any. I was concerned it might have a negative effect. I

It does not have a negative effect on plants in the ground.  If I had to guess, I'd say that the needles don't leech, thereby not affecting subground pH.  Even if they did leech, more places than not have an alkaline component to the soil pH - if you're not living next to a volcano or a sulfur mine - and a little buffering won't hurt.

Shredded leaves, non-treated grass clippings that have dried out some. 

Watch out for straw bales as they tend to still have viable seeds in the straw.

We use(d) wood chips in the flowers when we built the gardens. Much of it is still there after 20+ years.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I decided on pine straw.

It was reasonably priced, readily available, and easy to apply.

Also, it is quite 'fluffy' compared to other mulches, which should allow for good air circulation and water penetration.

Back