• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Organic vs Conventional for Container Peppers/Tomatoes

Hey Fellas,

I am just starting my first transplant of my peppers sprouts. I started them in burpee peat pellets and am now transplanting them up into red solo cups.

I went to the local garden store yesterday and my buddy recommended Fafard 3b potting mix. He said it drains well and it would be a great grow medium for peppers/tomatoes. In fact, he said that they plant damn near everything in the 3b and have great results. He seemed to know what he was talking about so I picked up a bag of the 3b.

I don't know a ton about this stuff, but I know it's a soil-less potting mix with no added fertilizers. In some way, shape, or form I need to add nutrients to my plants.

I tend to lean on the side of organic gardening and farming practices, but in this case, I don't really have land and soil to improve and enrich. I'm using a nutrientless mix, so I'm thinking it may be easier to use a synthetic fertilizer.

Do you guys think it would be better for my plants if I simply used a synthetic, or if I tried to mix in a bunch of different things such as worm casting and other things of that nature to fertilize them organically?

The current plan is to throw a small amount of some 10-10-10 around the seedlings to get them started and then when I pot up again possibly create an organic mix and not continue to use the synthetic.

Does anyone have some specific recommendations for this application? I am on a budget as I am a college student so please keep that in mind as well.

Thanks guys,
Skeptic

Super sized growth and yield vs flavor and nutrition...  i'd opt for the latter...  organic all the way

BTW, 10-10-10 seems a little strong for seedlings... I'm no expert, maybe others will chime in...

Back