• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Organic Weed Trick for Morning Glory & Vines

During plant out, tried something new this year.  I added a three foot stick to each plant.  I did it because now that I am slow about things, by the time I get to the last of the plant out, the first has started to weed over.  Figured it would both help me find the plants while weeding and tell the critters where not to step.  Now that I am at the weeding weeding and more weeding point, I noticed something that makes the effort even more worth it.

We are plagued by morning glory.  Previously, they were painful and time consuming to pull because they would weave themselves into the plant.  Had to be very carefully not to hurt the plant.  Those sticks acted like morning glory bait.  I have no clue how a morning glory could possibly choose the stick over the plant, but they seem to have done just that.

Thought I would share.

While producing pretty flowers, morning glory are a PITA. Last year, I let one mummify an aji limo, which still produced like a champ. This year, I've been pulling just about every new vine I see. They can really suffocate other plants.

We call them choker plants.  It like putting a chain around a tree and letting the thing die only faster.  I hate the things.

Back