• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Other Nightshades.

I was going to start a thread for Solanum laciniatum, but I thought I'd take a stab at getting everyone to post their other nightshades here.. All in one thread.
This year I decided on Solanum lacinatum, Solanum sisybriifolium, and a local wild variety, Physalis longifolia.. All edible varieties. About 11 weeks in, my first hooks are finally happening on the S. lacinatum and P. longifolia... I had no idea they could take so long!

20230608_090728.jpg
20230608_090720.jpg

Solanum sisybriifolium has been around for a minute, and looking a lot stronger now that they have been outside for a week or so. I thought tomato and petunia were killers, but they've got nothing on this sticky plant! Another recent victim here, wearing itself out trying to get free. They do gather a lot of other random things too.. Seeds, leaves, whatever else happens to land on them. I hear they can be kind of weedy in the South, but I've never seen one before up here.
20230608_100428.jpg

20230608_100331.jpg

Pests? 😬

I've sown Solanum caripense, but it's growing slowly. Too slow for my liking...
Mostly pests, but it also kills the Aphidius and anything else that tiny that lands on it.. Whether directly or passively, and then the abdomens on them end up disappearing. I can't say definitively if something bigger is looting the corpses, or if the plant is breaking them down. It seems like that's about all anyone else has done with it too, as I've found little outside of conjecture related to nightshades and this trait. We've had some tomatoes and petunias that have trapped/killed insects in a similar fashion, just not as effectively. Just like them, these guys won't be allowed to stay overwinter in the greenroom, but I might keep one in the kitchen.

Wow! 2 years is a long time to wait for fruit, and they sound like pest magnets to boot! How long do they generally live?

Buffalo Burr.....isn't that the national plant of Scotland??, just joshing, I bet the Scots would trade the Thistle in for the burr though, more pointy things?

och aye the noo!

Cheers!

Attachments

• c9f6d3b751dfbb4d2e638dc1f6c56ad6-1691532650.jpg
    c9f6d3b751dfbb4d2e638dc1f6c56ad6-1691532650.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Easily the biggest Solanum flowers I've grown so far.
20230623_112149.jpg

Solanum laciniatum and Physalis longifolia are coming along nicely, but I should probably upgrade them to bigger pots. I had two Physalis, but one burnt up in the sun the same day it popped(In one of the other 3 4-packs.. Those little trays don't hold much moisture. Pretty sour germination for them, over-all, but I'm happy to have one to start a colony. I think next time I'll use the heat mats like a couple of people suggested.. Just need to find them.

20230625_144211.jpg
20230625_144219.jpg

The last Solanum sisymbriifolium decided to join the grow too.
20230625_144158.jpg

Physalis longifolia is starting to really take off now, a little behind the colony. So far it seems to be doing well in the 3G#.
20230825_130202.jpg

No shortage of pollen there!
20230825_130102.jpg

Solanum laciniatum 3G# is also getting ready to do something.. One of them anyway. One is struggling in the 1G#, and the other seems to have disappeared.

20230824_131629.jpg

20230824_131546.jpg

Also had this S. rostratrum show up in the crack of our driveway.. What are the odds?

20230825_174916.jpg

20230810_141635.jpg

They are silly and grow into very large bushes. Also have very invasive tendencies. It's been 5 years I" think since I have grown them and still kill seedlings all over my property every year.

My seedling has since long "disappeared". A bird, I think...

Jaltomatas are kind of cute plants ☺️ But I think it may be a bit too hot here to there liking. I found only one jaltomata with an observation in the Chiapas lowlands, and I already forgot which one 🤔 Looking again at some pictures, it probably was Jaltomata procumbens.

My seedling has since long "disappeared". A bird, I think...

Jaltomatas are kind of cute plants ☺️ But I think it may be a bit too hot here to there liking. I found only one jaltomata with an observation in the Chiapas lowlands, and I already forgot which one 🤔 Looking again at some pictures, it probably was Jaltomata procumbens.

You would have zero chance of growing any Peruvian species in Chiapas without some type of indoor setup where you could adjust humidity and temperatures to exact numbers. The Mexican species are easier to grow than grass though. I'd focus on Areca if I were you.:fireball:

Back