• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Outdoor seedlings turning purple

Hi, I'm new to this site. I have recently sprouted some hot chilies, they are from dried chillies from South Asia and are short and red, so to simulate the optimum growing conditions in Canada I keep them warm in direct sunlight outside and recently noticed them turning purple in the leaves. I bring them in every night so the temperature stays constant and they are about a week old. Any help?

Red pigments in leaves are anthocyanidins. Plants produce then in response to stress - often due to a sudden increase in light intensity. They can protect leaf tissue by absorbing UV radiation, thus limiting the amount that is allowed to penetrate the leaf and damage DNA and other material.
     Did you start your plants indoors and then put them outside in the sun without hardening them off? That's probably the most likely cause, although It is common for plants to turn red as a result of a many different stresses - drought, cold temps, chemical stress, pests, pathogens...

edit: By the way, it's probably nothing to worry about in and of itself. It's just an indication that your plants are dealing with some kind of stress. If they are looking healthy otherwise, they will most likely overcome it. Keep an eye on them and if you think it may me suntan, you could limit their time in direct sun or give them filtered light until they get used to it.

Actually they started being purple a day or two ago. They germinated indoors and as soon as they began to sprout I put them outside in indirect light for a day or two and the. Put them in direct sunlight and then put them inside at evening.

Yup. It sound like suntan - no problem. I bet they'll grow right out of it and their first true leaves will be green. 

edit: Have you had a chance to see a plant of this variety before? I ask because some plants are just genetically predetermined to overproduce red pigments. Think of a Crimson King Norway maple. Probably unlikely since (I think) you implied your plants started out green and then turned purple. Just something to keep in mind.

I would. My way of thinking is that as long as a plant hasn't gotten too accustomed to growing indoors, it should be able to put up with life in the great outdoors. Your plants should already be pretty used to sunlight, so I think the worst is over for them. I'd put them outside in the sunniest spot I could find and just keep an eye on them to make sure they're not getting sunburned. (thin, grayish-tan patches on leaves)

+1 on what Burning Colon said. That's what I was thinking of when I mentioned that some varieties just overproduce anthocyanins. I wasn't aware that Thai varieties are known for this, but I know that my Reapers and hot paper lantern habs both have purplish stems and are also the first plants to get a suntan when the light gets too bright.

my thai chili plant is doing the same thing, its only on the seed leaves though. mine started doing it while in my grow tent, i think its just the plant itself. my thai chili is really healthy also

There are 4 plants in a small pot but no roots are showing at the bottom, how long do you think until true leaves show?
Yeah only my seed leaves too

honestly im not sure how long it will take for the first true leaves to show, i had mine under lights 24/7 and it only took a week or so and i now have 3 true leaves and working on the 4th set. it shouldnt be to long though

Back