• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Overly hot jalapeños

I was wondering what is wrong with some jalapeños.
Because there are some that are really hot, as hot as cayenne or even hotter.
Are those new strains or what?
Because I am growing jalapeños from seeds I got out of jalapeños bought in the supermarket and one of the two jalapeños was really hot, so I got a few plants from this one growing and man, the pods are hot.
A good friend of mine tried some of those and he finds them freakishly hot, sweating and all.
He's from Texas originally and now lives in Germany with his family, so he is accustomed to eating normal jalapeños as a snack, yet he found these ones really hot.
And even I find them hot.

Are there varieties/strains of jalapeños as hot as cayenne or hotter that are stable?

Several years ago I was growing jalapeno's in the big dry ditch aka Las Vegas.

Even off the same plant the fruits had varying degrees of hotness.

Some chile's had little to no heat while others were hottern' hell.

I really enjoyed those super hot peno's.

Some seemed to me to be hotter than pequin that I was also growing at the time.

I was hoping to take most of them to the red ripe corky stage to ascertain the final outcome but alas...

Damn tomato worms stripped 'em bare.

Jalapeños seem to range from bell-pepper heat (none) to "Wow—I can hardly believe this". 

I just bought three big, red-ripe, heavily corked ones and roasted, then blended them intact with tomatillo, garlic, cumin, sea salt, and a splash of water to yield a half cup of concentrated goody.  The relatively high heat level has me scratching my head; instead of mounding the chile (salsa) onto tacos, I've had to back down to just painting the tortillas with lovely, red, hot smears. 

Stealth-humbler jalapeños.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
The Early Jalapenos I grow are very hot and on par with my cayenne peppers. Store bought are rarely as hot as what I grow and that held true in Texas as well. :)

The nursery jalapenos I bought this year from two different sources were labeled early jalapenos. Really hoping they have some good heat to them! The ones at our local grocer are either no heat, like a bell, or what I would call average jalapeno from my experience.

And I think Texan's lose their inherent heat tolerance as soon as they cross state lines. Texas is like the chili bermuda triangle. :shh:

I'm growing some Mucho Nacho Jalapeno's this year hoping for larger and hotter peppers than I find in the stores. 

Pepperjack91 said:
I got some from the store recently that were very hot. Had some in an omelet this morning actually. Then got it in my eye as i put my contacts in. Good times...

Me to. I made a batch of Atomic Buffalo Turds for the crew at work a few months ago with about 15 jalapeños from the supermarket and these things were HOT! All the chili freaks at work thought so to.

"so I got a few plants from this one growing and man, the pods are hot."

You got plants from the seeds from the store-bought jalapeño? Might be a jalapeño/serrano cross? :) In the supermarkets here they always have jalapeños and serranos in stock and next to each other. I assume they grow them near each other.

I've grown a lot of jalapeños, as I love poppers, and for my money the hottest I've tasted are biker billy, the mucho nacho are a little bigger, but the bikers were a little hotter! The only ones I've ever tasted that were hotter were while in Mexico, but I never had the pleasure to grow those! :(

Thanks for the answers.
I think it could be that they have different strains in the supermarket available.
They could very well be either a hybrid strain or some mexican or other pure strain that is just very hot.
I did want to preserve this hot strain and save the seed from the ripened pods, if they ever ripen.

I have grown Mucho Nacho in the past and was very happy with the flavor and heat level. Not the hottest jalapenos I have ever had, but definitely above the average grocery pepper. I just googled up "extra hot jalapeno varieties" and over at sandia seeds they claim to have a variety that comes in at 17,000 scovilles.  :shocked:  That is twice as hot as other "hot" jalapeno varieties. Anyone tried these "jalmundo" ?

Back