water Overwatered, I'm guessing?

I think I may have drowned a few plants. The chlorosis came on fairly abruptly, affecting both the plants that are sharing a bag. All my other plants, also in Wallybags are fine. 

Overwatered.jpg

Now the plants are weak, wilting rapidly in warm weather, even when the soil is moist.  I'm guessing they suffered a bout of root damage?

What's the best treatment for these guys?  They're not happy, but don't look in danger of dieing either.

TY

Not an expert opinion, but if the soil is saturated with water, and stay in the sun, the roots you could say are boiled...

Iron deficiency makes leaves totally yellow.

At least the newest growth.

If that is a grow tip in the top left corner then you are probably right about iron.

I agree with others above about needing cal, mag and possibly a ph issue blocking the phos. To much water and nitrogen with warm temps can cause the leaves to grow to fast if lacking the other nuetrients needed for healthy growth.

Soil levels of Fe and Mg are likely not the issue; I feed them frequently with Magic Blue Crystals ferts that include chelated Fe and most other minerals, and occasionally spike the water with epsom salt.   A PH lock, or overdose of another mineral causing uptake problems, seems possible.

It's certainly warm enough - 100+ daily!  Getting the watering right is a learning process. Too little water and the wallybags get too dry around the edges - I don't want to kill any roots growing toward the edge of the bag.  Too much water and ....

Since the yellowing arrived, I've been watering  very lightly near the stem, trying to minimize wilt and overall starvation w/o aggravating the situation. The soggy stage is passed, and I'm just waiting for the plant to hopefully recover.

OKGrowin, that pdf you linked to is like a Shop of Horrors for any gardener!  :shocked:   :D

Google suggests that a copper deficit is often associated with chlorosis of the veins.

Ah, I just found this:
http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/support/library/ff/Cu_Basics.htm

Function
Copper is essential for many plant functions. Some of them are
  •  
  • It functions as a catalyst in photosynthesis and respiration.
  •  
  • It is a constituent of several enzyme systems involved in building and converting amino acids to proteins.
  •  
  • Copper is important in carbohydrate and protein metabolism.
  •  
  • It is important to the formation of lignin in plant cell walls which contributes to the structural strength of the cells, and the plant.
  •  
  • Copper also affects the flavor, the storageability, and the sugar content of fruits.
  •  

Factors Affecting Availability
  •  
  • Root Growth: Copper is the most immobile micronutrient, therefore anything that inhibits new root growth will inhibit Cu uptake.
  •  
  • Soil pH: Acid soils increase Cu uptake and High pH inhibits uptake.
  •  
  • Organic Matter: Copper is readily and tightly complexed by organic matter, therefore high soil organic matter levels reduce Cu availability.
  •  
  • Flooding: Waterlogged soils can reduce Cu availability while they are saturated, however after they are drained the Cu will become available again.
  •  
  • Cu:Zn Balance: High Zn levels will reduce Cu availability.
  •  
  • Cu:N Balance: High N uptake in the presence of marginal Cu levels can lead to a reduction of Cu transport into the growing tips of plants.
  •  
  • Cu:P Balance: High soil and plant P levels can reduce Cu uptake due to reduced soil exploration by mycorrhizas associated with plant roots.
  •  
  • N Stress: Low N availability decreases the vigor of plants to an extent that it may fail to take up adequate amounts of many other nutrients. Copper uptake can be affected in this way.
  •  

And

http://hortipm.tamu.edu/ipmguide/nutrient/diagnosi.html

Copper(Cu) - Leaves at top of the plant wilt easily followed by chlorotic and necrotic areas in the leaves. Leaves on top half of plant may show unusual puckering with veinal chlorosis. Absence of a knot on the leaf where the petiole joins the main stem of the plant beginning about 10 or more leaves below the growing point.

"I'll take water induced Copper Deficiency for $500!"

Will suspend ferts to reduce possible P or N induced Cu blocking, and dose them with a small dash of copper acetate (vinegar and pennies!)

Will advise, particularly if I manage to make things worse... ;)

Thanks, all!

Iron deficiency can also be caused by overatering. Or cold temps.

And it makes the new growth very yellow, bordering on white. While the older leaves have the veinal chlorosis.

Here is a pic of an over watered pepper that was getting dripped on from a leaking overhead drip line for baskets near the bench. Problem fixed so I expect a quick recovery.
IMAG1011.jpg

Back