• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Overwintered plants with weird leaves.

Hey. last year I posted pictures with my first ever plants I started from seeds, which were Jolokia yellow, and Carolina reapers, some habaneros. Pics can found here: https://imgur.com/a/UkkljMT

I had some issues with them during the heatwave in Europe, but at the end I ended with a lot of the pods. I decided to overwinter 2 plants, Carolina reaper and Jolokia yellow. I cut them all the way to the way down, and put them in a cold place over the winter. A month ago first leaves appeared on the plants, so today I finally repotted them to new soil, using 80% coco peat and 20% regular soil for vegetable (sorry lol, I have no idea what it's called).

Anyway, there's more leaves every week, but they are of a really irregular shape. See pics below of Jolokia Yellow plant. Is this normal and should go away later in the season when the plant becomes bigger and stronger, or I'm doing something wrong here?

Attachments

• IMG_20190427_150502.jpg
    IMG_20190427_150502.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20190427_150511.jpg
    IMG_20190427_150511.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20190427_150526.jpg
    IMG_20190427_150526.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 81
mtj said:
Hey. last year I posted pictures with my first ever plants I started from seeds, which were Jolokia yellow, and Carolina reapers, some habaneros. Pics can found here: https://imgur.com/a/UkkljMT

I had some issues with them during the heatwave in Europe, but at the end I ended with a lot of the pods. I decided to overwinter 2 plants, Carolina reaper and Jolokia yellow. I cut them all the way to the way down, and put them in a cold place over the winter. A month ago first leaves appeared on the plants, so today I finally repotted them to new soil, using 80% coco peat and 20% regular soil for vegetable (sorry lol, I have no idea what it's called).

Anyway, there's more leaves every week, but they are of a really irregular shape. See pics below of Jolokia Yellow plant. Is this normal and should go away later in the season when the plant becomes bigger and stronger, or I'm doing something wrong here?
Great stuff'! Nice recovery from winter!
Hello! I would say that is normal spring growth for an overwinter. They've been resting for months and now with fewer hours of sun, less intense light, less/no food than last summer/fall...AND needing to start over from zero leaves...My guess would be leaves combined with all of those factors I mentioned would have to be like pods: Early pods are small and malformed.

Does that make sense? Can somebody else chime in? Am I correct, somewhat?

Bhuter said:
Great stuff'! Nice recovery from winter!
Hello! I would say that is normal spring growth for an overwinter. They've been resting for months and now with fewer hours of sun, less intense light, less/no food than last summer/fall...AND needing to start over from zero leaves...My guess would be leaves combined with all of those factors I mentioned would have to be like pods: Early pods are small and malformed.

Does that make sense? Can somebody else chime in? Am I correct, somewhat?

Many thanks, I appreciate it!

My guess was the same as you mentioned it, but as I'm not very experienced grower, I'm not too sure about it. Definitely will wait to see next batch of leaves in the following weeks.

Back