• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Overwintering in larger containers

This is my first year gardening and I grew some peppers in some fairly small containers. I want to overwinter them and when I do I plan to put them in something larger, like an aldi reusable bag or 5 gallon bucket.

My question is, will they be stunted since they've been in smaller pots for what will be several months at that point?

Most people do the opposite (grow in large containers, and OW in smaller ones). Overwintering in smaller containers (and pruning) is usually because space is limited indoors. 

I grow in the ground, and OW in small pots (2 gallon, I believe). The idea is to just keep them alive until they can get back outside and explode with new growth again. If you have enough space and enough light for large containers indoors, I say go for it.

I have a few plants I started in early february that are still in 3.5 inch pots (ran out of room at plant out). Yes, they are stunted, but they would take off if I potted them up or planted them in the ground.

Either way, they should be fine. Pepper plants are tough.

If you got space by all means use large pots.  I plan on potting mine up into bigger pots with new soil.  I have a short season and some strains i want to keep around to get them really big next season.

if they have been in a small container to long there probally root bound and if they  are root bound they will be stunted and will take a while to start spreading its roots in its new pot 

Back