• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Overwintering pot size

Just wondering what a good size pot is when it comes to cutting back and overwintering peppers

Depends on how heavily you cut it back. I had anywhere from 3.5 inch pots (cut back to a stump and a small root ball) up to 9 inch pots (kept most of the major branches intact and pruned the root ball to size). Basically whatever your setup allows for.

DePens on root mass. But 3 should be able to handle the avg plant after cut back. For monsters you go up a bit. Also depends on how much you're cutting back. You could go bonsai style on the plant if you really wanted to and put her into a shallow tray even. There's no stock answer really.

DePens on root mass. But 3 should be able to handle the avg plant after cut back. For monsters you go up a bit. Also depends on how much you're cutting back. You could go bonsai style on the plant if you really wanted to and put her into a shallow tray even. There's no stock answer really.

3 gallon or 3 inch?

I'll be overwintering so i can have really big plants next year

I saw your overwinter post with your giant fatalii. Amazing!

I decided to overwinter 10 of my plants last year, and to do so in the pots I grew them in. I first removed them, cleaned out the pots, put fresh soil into the pots, and got as much of the old soil off the root balls as I could. General rule of thumb is to trim both the top (stem and branches) back to the same length you are going to trim the roots, so that above the surface and below the surface are the same height. Repotted, sprayed with some anti-aphid stuff, then brought them inside.

Why did I go with the original pots? With only 10, I wasn't overly concerned with space. Had i brought in more, I might have done differently. Also, this would keep me from having to pot up again in the Spring. I'll give you the caveat that the pots were a good size for each plant - I didn't find any that were terribly root-bound when I removed the plants, and most had lots of leg room available, as those varieties had smallish root balls.

So +1 that it depends upon the variety, but it also depends upon your individual circumstances, such as the amount of space you have. Another factor to consider is whether you want them to go dormant over the winter or keep them going. I decided to keep mine going, which requires more frequent watering and feeding than if you let them go dormant. thechileman.org had a decent article on overwintering, you might look that up if you haven't already. If you let them go dormant, you can give them a more severe pruning, and hence, also put them into smaller pots for the winter.

Back