• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Overwintering Question

I have a Bode Amarela plant that took 100+ days from when it is put into the ground to set fruit. If I overwinter it and put the roots back in the ground in late May, will it again take 100+ days for ripe pods to appear, or will they appear much sooner?

From what I understand they will fruit in about 60 days depending on the type of peppers---I just put my pepper inside this year after cutting them back. They all are doing well except for my purple serranos who are not setting an leaves yet.

Good luck

Are you cutting it back to a stump or are you just bringing the plant indoors for the winter?

I brought a couple of jalapenos inside last year and just set them near a dimly lit window. They survived all winter although they didn't really grow all winter, they were ready to set flowers soon after I put them outside in the spring.

If it is cut back to a stump, you have quite a bit to grow back before it can produce fruit.

This year, I have a grow light so the plants I brought in can keep on making fruit all winter.

Though I didn't cut my douglahs back to just a stump last year, I still did a significant pruning before bringing them indoors. They did start flowering and producing pods earlier in the season than the new douglah I added to the batch this year - likely because they didn't first have to complete the job of growing up. That said, my rocotos...... ah, the rocotos. I think they do prefer cooler weather, because although the overwintered ones started blooming madly in the spring, not a single pod stuck until the fall, just like their first year, and just like the new one I got this year. So variety may impact your experience.

I haven't figured it out yet. I'd like to dig up all the roots and overwinter the entire plant. I don't know If I want to deal with that size of a bucket. The Bode produces delicious medium hot pods, but is tall and ugly.

Back