• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

OXY Bucket Drip System Usage

I recently planted my Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion into this dripper system:

drip-bucket-kit.jpg

My question is, how often should I run the dripper and for how long each time? So far I've been told twice a day, for 30 mins each time....but I have no idea if that's ideal or not.

Do people ever run these continuously?

wtf is an oxy bucket? ive been drinking.

oxy is the organic chemistry shorthand nomenclature for an epoxide(epoxy-)  containing molecule. ex: oxymorphine!, oxy codone, and idk what else.

the time and duration will depend on what medium you are using... geolite? folks run them non stop with airlift systems. yours looks as though it has a pump?

one pump per bucket? probably 100gph pumps? you could probably run it non stop honestly... wont hurt anything most likely.  but it probably only needs to be on for like... 5 seconds every minute. 
oxy bucket. hahaha.

10kg_bucket_dessicant_pills.jpg

I'm guessing the OXY is referring to Oxygen, as they do other configurations including an air stone to aerate the solution (mine doesn't have this).

I'm using nothing but clay pebbles in the pot and my nute solution sits below in the bucket. I'm running a single pump in this bucket for a single plant.
I have a timer attached to this which allows me to set on/off in 15 minute increments.

Just checked and I think my pump does 400 litres/hour.

honestly man... a pump like that, just run it like... 15 on then off for like 45-60 minutes untill the plants get established... and you are comforatble with the setup, and are not getting any rot issues...
after you get the deal down and working well, just run the pump 247 and forget about it.

the pumps will dump heat into the water too, so its not like its a 100% waste of electricity. your home gets some heat, and so do your plants.

that pump will NOT be 400lph when you hook it up to the tubing and manifold deal. it will be far far less, probably less than half that flow rate.

Ok thanks for the advice. That leads me onto a couple of other questions. Firstly how large a gap should I leave between the bottom of the pot and the top of the water?

Secondly, without an air pump am I likely to run into issues with rot or stagnant water? (I will be changing the solution every 2 weeks). I have heard of a product called 'Rot Stop' but not sure if it's required.

gap? i dont know... a few inches i suppose? you could probably get away with 0 air space, provided the water table is below the rocks. 
my gut tells me that water trickling over a huge pile of rocks will add plenty of dissolved oxygen.

an air pump? probably not needed, but who knows.

dont buy ANY root rot killing products... just buy chlorine bleach, unscented plain jane bleach.

look up the data, but i think something like 7 drops per 10 gallons gets 1 mg/l free chlorine? something like that.

regular unscented bleach, in a bottle is what im talking about.

should be 12.5% solution of water and sodium hypochlorite.

Ah I see! I have some already and here are the ingredients, I'm guessing 'perfume' renders it unusable though:

Sodium Hypochlorite 4.5g per 100g.

<5%: Chlorine based bleaching agent (Sodium Hypochlorite); Non-ionic surfactants; Cationic surfactants; Soap; Perfume.

I'll keep my eye out for some plainer stuff if this is useless. Does bleach not affect pods for human consumption ?

no bleach is fine. you can eat quite alot of it before you will die.

unscented and just plain bleach s best because its cheapest. the surfactants and crap like that can harm roots at large concentration, but not when added dropwise. 

Ok great, I've learnt a lot here already. I've noticed that many of the Rot Stop products claim to be all natural bacteria, that sounds better to me but you guys know more than me for sure.

Hydrogen Peroxide is my go-to.

Bottle is under a buck U.S. and I don't like to take chances.

Bleach can be a game ender for your grow if you aren't very careful.

queequeg152 said:

not true.

h2o2 is actally a far, far, far stronger oxidizer than hclo. hence its use as rocket fuel.
In it's pure form, atomized on Nickel.
I use the 3% solution found in every store's medicine isle.
Use it even on seedlings getting rot.

It's just water with an extra oxygen atom.

H2O2.

Chlorine is another matter entirely.
It combines with inorganic material in water to form chloride salts, and with organic material in water to form chlorinated organic chemicals.

With urea (or ammoniates) it combines to release a poison gas.

H2O2.

What ratio do you use per litre of nutrient solution ?

I use 10 ml per gallon, using a syringe to inject into the air tube. (no needle, just the syringe)

That would be 3ml or so per liter.

On my setup, the blue tube on yours is where the air pump line goes in.

Gotrox said:

H2O2.

Chlorine is another matter entirely.
It combines with inorganic material in water to form chloride salts, and with organic material in water to form chlorinated organic chemicals.

With urea (or ammoniates) it combines to release a poison gas.

atomized on nickle?

just water with an extra oxygen? lol and hydrazine is just an extra nitrogen smashed onto an ammonium right? so it must be safe.

lol, peroxides are entirely reactive species, and form their own disinfection byproducts. though owing to how strong of an oxidizer they are, these byproducts tend to be less troublesome.

problem is H202 has 0 and i mean 0 residual disinfection action. bleach or calcium hypochlorite disassociates into hypochlorus acid, which will happily hang around in sub ppm levels for days provided no agressive aeration and strong uv light is present.

this residual disinfection is the ONLY REASON we chlorinate water today. if it did not have this effect, it would be almost useless.

also who cares about disinfection byproducts in the first place? do you drink this nutrient water?

show me where plants exposed to even the nastiest of halogenated organic compounds can transfer some sort of harm to those that consume these plants.

lol at the poison gas.

Back