• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Oyster shells.

Should be a good source of calcium and any other minerals the buggers soaked up

I also would like to know the best way to apply. I have a bag of shells saved. Has to be a good calcium source.

Whoops. Late to the game.

We used to give that to the chickens when they would eat there eggs from a calcium deficienty. We bought it ground up from the farm supply store and threw it in the yard. They got what they needed From eating it and stopped eating the eggs. I figure if you crushed and ground it up and mix it in or sprinkle it on top would work

the powder has to be mixed into the soil so the roots can get it, you can just use plain chalk (calcium carbonate) if you have acidic soil to bring the soil PH to neutral while adding a lot of calcium to it.

a box of chalk is only like $5 for 9 bricks or some price around there

Check your PH before you use it.
6.0 to 6.8 (slightly acidic) is supposed to be the best for peppers.
Add too much base material (lime, oyster shell, CalCarb etc.) and it gets much above 7.5, or too much acidic material to drop it below 5.5 and it's a wasted garden for peppers.

On another site some well respected growers said to make a mix with 2 parts oyster shells, 1 part gypsum and 1 part lime (all powdered and mixed of course).

Then to use 2 tablespoons per 1 gallon of straight peat that you put into your soil mix.

I like the idea of that to counteract the peats acidity but 2tablespoons seems a bit high so on my last soil mix I used 1 tablespoon of it per gallon of peat.

Back