• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OZZZ 2022

Hey everyone.

Recently we moved to Arizona and this is my first time trying to grow outdoors here so we will see how it goes. We got here last year in June and for experimental purposes I planted a cayenne, scotch bonnet and a morouga scorpion that overwintered naturally outdoors and are still going now, although they don’t look the best. I planted them late last year so the SB and the morouga didn’t produce anything at all, but the cayenne was productive. Now the SB from last year is loaded, while the morouga produced only a single pepper so far.

In January or February I started a bunch of others, another MOA, a fatalli, yellow 7 pot, Caribbean Red, and a red 7 pot.

I have them all in white ceramic pots and I tapped into my landscaping irrigation line and ran drip emitters to each pot. I’m hoping I have the water needs dialed in. Obviously it gets hot as hell here but yet I don’t want to overwater them either. Our tap water is very high PPM too… it’s about 1.0 EC straight from the tap, but the PH is 6.5 at least.

I think each pot is around 7-10 gallons in volume, and I have 2 - 1/2 GPH emitters in each pot running for 30 minutes every morning. I don’t have a ton of flexibility in this aspect because the landscaping is in the same line…. So if I need to adjust the water needs to each pot I need to swap out the emitters to a higher or lower flow rate but I am locked into a 30 minute run time every morning. So far they are doing ok but lately we are peaking 100 degrees and they are getting beat down by the afternoon sun, so I have ordered a 50% shade cloth and am waiting for the hardware to arrive to get it installed …. that should offer some relief.

From Back to front we have 7 pot yellow, Caribbean Red, MOA SB, 7 pot Red and in front a Fatalli. These were all planted this year around Jan/Feb:

85D7935D-EFD4-4929-8183-609C722FFE68.jpeg

The yellow 7 pot is producing pretty well, I probably have around 20 pods on it so far and more appearing by the day:

C5AFF83E-A962-4E52-90EA-F315A4C6EECE.jpeg

The second MOA SB is starting to push pods also, she seems like she just woke up and is just getting started:

6992B1EF-4197-44CE-A370-65A70F165E41.jpeg

1AB0D902-827F-46DA-9416-27621D661C21.jpeg

The Caribbean red is loading up also, while the 7 pot red and the fatalli are not pushing pods yet. They seem much slower either that or they just aren’t as happy.

Here’s the plants that are still alive from last year. First up the cayenne…. The foliage doesn’t look great but she has loaded herself up again with new peppers:

B9CAC26F-C1B3-42FC-A573-CCEB2BDEEEA6.jpeg

857F8606-8297-473D-8EBF-A57A83930A13.jpeg

….. and the MOA SB from last year…. Her foliage also doesn’t look the best but she is loaded up pretty well. Maybe 20-30 pods

2C440DE3-813B-4838-9690-65AFF90C95A3.jpeg

313A3827-4747-4C34-8005-432C719B883F.jpeg

…. And the morouga scorpion that isn’t doing much other than the one ripe pepper I got off of it already.

B3DCB806-52AF-48D3-B854-76959D33A157.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the plants look great for those weather conditions.
Sometimes we just have to take what they can give us, I
guess.

Great that you're getting pods! Those are pretty chilly overnight temps. My peppers won't do anything with those cold overnights, but that's likely because it doesn't get nearly as warm here during the daytime when it's that chilly overnight.

Yeah our daytime temps do get into decent ranges but it’s only really from around noon to maybe 4pm. Before that it’s warming up from the overnight lows and after that it’s cooling down into them. That’s kind of what I figured, that it’s simply too cold but we don’t freeze here (it’s only happened a few times) so good news is they should just sit in stasis until warmer weather comes in the spring, then they should take off. It’s crazy but some are putting pods out and ripening them too. I bet they go ape shit come spring lol 🤘🤘🤘

Sure hope so….

Got some pod shots (unripe)

I have two phenotypes of the Super Bhut x (Pink Tiger x Peach Bhut).

The first plant is shorter, stockier and has only put out one pod so far, but it’s a picture perfect scorpion / reaper type. What a beauty! The plant itself is gorgeous too with dark purple foilage on top and green undersides to the leaves

5A96DDFB-8159-4690-8A55-7EF40C46FF6F.jpeg

The second plant is much much taller and lankier in structure….. has many more pods developing (maybe around a dozen or better) …. And the pod shapes themselves are long and slender like a Bhut. They seem stunted in size from the cold temps, but it gives a preview of what’s to come when our temps start warming back up around Feb-March

5A32B263-2D10-4AF6-823B-B5561A482A11.jpeg

D88883F0-4A5E-4C6E-A203-08044FBB9F9D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back