• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P. Dreadie Memorial Group Grow 2016

Long-time THP veterans mourned the loss last August of Amarillo, Texas musician/songwriter/silversmith/chilehead Erin Mason, known to us here on the boards as P. Dreadie. Erin was an enigma, one of the most interesting and creative, yet gentle and loving guys I ever knew. Many of us may be unaware that he played harmonica in one of the original Austin, Texas bands of the early 1970s "Cosmic Cowboy" era, Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys. When Erin decided to step off of Alvin's perpetually-touring bus and return to Amarillo, he travelled to Jamaica, fell in love with the Reggae beat, collected the best Scotch Bonnet fruit he could find, and his alter-ego Papa Dreadie was born.

In 2013 Erin sent me a few pods of the Scotch Bonnets he had been breeding, carefully selected descendants of the original fruit he brought back from the Caribbean all those years ago. I harvested every single seed from those pods, and stored them away, as I focused increasing attention on other varieties. When his wife Liz gave us the news last August that Erin had passed, I knew what I had to do with those seeds: a community grow in his memory. I have already shared about half of them, and I will continue to share them with experienced growers of the Scotch Bonnet until they are gone.

Papa Dreadie Scotch Bonnet Select, grown by Erin in 2013:

erin_bonnets003.jpg

erin_bonnets031.jpg

Lifetime memories posted by Liz Mason on Erin's FB page. Liz is an extremely talented professional photographer:

11902277_840930452672850_1547488734913475330_n.jpg

The legendary bus:

538_Alvins_old_bus_1.jpg
1644785432596.png

Wow, thanks everyone for your wonderful outpouring of support and interest, and especially to Trident chilli for sharing that message from Erin. That really helped to fill in the gaps in his story, and gives us an intimate picture of Erin's love for Jamaica, its people, and culture.

Before I start sending out seeds, I need to take inventory of my P. Dreadie seeds. I'm thinking 5-6 seeds is a good amount to ensure at least one good plant for everyone, but less may be okay, and would allow more growers to join in on Erin's party. Y'all please give me some feedback on that point.

Yesterday I sent a FB message to Erin's wife Liz, to let her know what we are about over here on THP. Today I got this cool response:

SafariScreenSnapz001.jpg

ronniedeb said:
Do you have any seeds of this variety John? Are they available commercially?
Ronan I will have a look tonight but at the moment I only have what I would call Erin's standard P. Dreadie seed. Gary has what Erin called his "culled" or select seed which all would agree is special ... personally either way both standard and select are his seeds and an honour to have to grow out this season

Available commercially I know Meatfreak - tasty peppers NL had some but looking at his site tonight he has sold out

Thanks again everyone for the tremendous interest and show of affection for Erin and his pepper…I'm sad to say all my seeds are now gone, so please, no more requests for seeds.

If anyone else has true P. Dreadie seeds they would be willing to share please post about it here.

Erin's spirit lives on in not only in his family, his friends, his art, and his peppers, but also in his music:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61900856/PepperPix/2016_01_08/R%20the%20A%20v8.mp3

windchicken said:
Thanks again everyone for the tremendous interest and show of affection for Erin and his pepperI'm sad to say all my seeds are now gone, so please, no more requests for seeds.

If anyone else has true P. Dreadie seeds they would be willing to share please post about it here.

Erin's spirit lives on in not only in his family, his friends, his art, and his peppers, but also in his music:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61900856/PepperPix/2016_01_08/R%20the%20A%20v8.mp3
Great song!
Gary thanks for sharing it!

Trident chilli said:
Ronan I will have a look tonight but at the moment I only have what I would call Erin's standard P. Dreadie seed. Gary has what Erin called his "culled" or select seed which all would agree is special ... personally either way both standard and select are his seeds and an honour to have to grow out this season

Available commercially I know Meatfreak - tasty peppers NL had some but looking at his site tonight he has sold out

I still have seeds of it but the got older so decided to take them off  the site for sale. I can still share the seeds if anyone wants to grow it, just send me a PM and we work it out.

fiogga said:
I received some from a seed train, planted the today, we will see how the turn out, very nice memorial!

Awesome Sandra! Thanks for helping out with the grow!

Plantguy76 said:
I plan to grow mine at my moms that way they will be isolated form my other varieties for sure & will save seed form the pods to keep them going .

Great plan Jason! Next year will be truly epic!

roper2008 said:
I would like to grow some of his seeds if any leftover..

I'm so sorry Linda...My seeds are all gone. Check out Meatfreak's offer of seeds below.

Lovepeppers said:
Great song!
Gary thanks for sharing it!

I know, right? That song really sticks in my head... :dance:

meatfreak said:

I still have seeds of it but the got older so decided to take them off  the site for sale. I can still share the seeds if anyone wants to grow it, just send me a PM and we work it out.

Thanks so much Stefan! You are a life-saver, my friend! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Back