• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

P.Dreadie's Yardie Chicken

Dis' one of mi favorite dishes … bar none ! Several techniques used here , like "seasoning" your meat in some of the vegetables , like onions yellow & green, garlic , peppers both hot & black pepper . Then some of the herbs and spices if used . You want those flavors to get into your meat a little. Makes it nice … You can season for a few hours or overnight. I use that for different meats not just chicken. The other thing I like is cooking things in one pot. Fricasseed style. Yes Mon ….

Many of mi recipes start this way , you use the veggies you have on hand or pick what you think will lend it's self to what you want the dish to end up like. Caribbean , Italian , Mexican , Moroccan , Laba Laba … it's up to you !! And it's easy to come with a variation of any cuisine with little trouble.

So yesterday I made Yardie Chicken, during the Blizzard of 13' in Amarillo. I show a picture of the items that went into my seasoning mix.. I wanted Cho Cho's ( Chayote squash ) but couldn't find any, so I'm tossing in parsnips. I'm using frozen Scotch Bonnets , frozen okra ,and sweet potato . . Some aren't in the seasoning mix and will be added as I go long …. Besides red bell , yellow and green onions , carrots , Scotch Bonnet peppers I added Black Pepper and thyme.

DSCF3320.jpg

After the chicken is well seasoned you scrape off the vegetables , sprinkle salt and pepper on it then lightly coat in flour and brown it nice on both sides. After it's browned pull it out and set on paper towels. You'll need a little grease for the next step , but toss most of what grease you have. Sauté your seasoning veggies until the onions get a little soft and everything is smelling super. Then add the chicken thighs back and add a little liquid , enough to come up a little around 1/2 way on the thighs. You can add more if needed. The liquid could be anything , water , milk , fruit juice , broth, or even booze . Cover and cook around 45 minutes total at a gentle simmer.

DSCF3358.jpg

Sautéing Veggies

DSCF3359.jpg

When the chicken has been cooking 15 minutes or so I toss in the frozen okra . Stir gently from time to time to make sure nothing's sticking and to check on the amount of liquid and what's going on there. You want to end up with slightly gravy like luquid . Not watery like a stew but as thick as gravy for biscuits & gravy. If it's too watery when you get to the end , take out the chicken … turn the heat up to reduce the liquid and make sure to stir the heck out of things. Don't won't to burn anything at this time !

DSCF3364.jpg

I also made Mock Callaloo. Didn't have those callaloo greens so I used collard greens and kale. A simple sauté of a little piece of bonnet , green onions , and garlic then the greens where tossed in and cooked covered at a low temperature . Stirring often with a little splash of chicken broth from time to time. No pork parts were added .....

DSCF3367.jpg

I also made Rice 'n' Peas Dreadie style ... Everything was great !

DSCF3374.jpg

Didn't have Grace's Pepper sauce but this is a good second choice

DSCF3353.jpg

Erin, Whoa looks awesome, I thought I was the only one that made home made rice 'n' peas … dat Dreadie style looks great! Keep up the positive vibes mon ^_^

Thanks ....

Dat's da only way Roots !!

WalkGood I take the peas ( sm red beans ) under the green onions in the this photo and thyme then start the cooking process. After a while I add the peppers. In this case a Scotch Bonnet floater and 8 chopped Trinidad Perfumes and a little coconut creme, not coconut milk like most people do. So maybe I should call dem "Sweet Rice 'n' Peas ". After the beans are cooked I drain off the liquid and use it to cook the rice in. When the rice is done I toss the beans and things back in and mix well . At times I may add a chopped tomato in too. Dreadie style .....

DSCF3345.jpg

DSCF3347.jpg

DSCF3352.jpg

THT ,

Kind of a basic Tabasco style of sauce ... vinegary and a bit hotter . Use is the same .. splash on greens or few drops in your bowel of stew. A nice table sauce. Grace's from Jamaica was much the same but using the Scotch Bonnet. It's the BOMB to me... can't seem to find any right now .....

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it.

As for mixing it in my bowel stew... No thank you. I'll find a different use for it... .But hey, I'm not judging you if that's your thang.

...you had me at Parsnips!!!! Another great dish, this one will work in all seasons. I've been looking for reason to get a new dutch oven!

JayT come on cut me some slack ! First time I spoke of the "all important floater " you guys jumped on me like pork on sweet corn

I wasn't making Root Beer BBQ sauce or something :dance:

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Back