bottles-jars Packaging bottles for mailing/shipping

My sauce is pretty thick, and so I've settled on 12oz wide neck bottles as my optimal bottle size.

The problem I have is with shipping these things cost effectively in small quantities. Case lots are no problem - I put them in the box they came in, inside a bigger box with air bags or packaging pellets and ship them via ground.

Its the 1 or 2 bottle orders off my website that I have trouble with - I've had bottles break when I've taken a minimalistic approach (1 layer of bubble wrap inside a shipping tube) so I've resorted to smothering the bottles with bubble wrap and sticking them in a big box with pellets, but its expensive, time consuming, wasteful, and plain butt ugly

I was wondering if anyone else has been able to come up with a more elegant/better solution?

Wayne
http://www.matanzima.com

Hello Wayne,

There is no inexpensive way to ship single bottles, especially the larger 10oz and 12oz bottles. 5oz woozies will fit into USPS small flat rate boxes, but not the larger ones.

THe best I can find is wrap the bottle in about 12"x24" of small bubble wrap, and use a box that's about 4x4x12. If you have an order for 2 12-oz bottles, it's almost cheaper to use USPS flat rate medium boxes.

I finally resorted to buying a couple rolls of small bubble wrap from Reliable office supply and some small boxes from U-Line.

Hope this helps some,
SL

I, most of the time, but not always, wrap/pack mine in news paper...wadded up newspaper between the jars and around the sides of the box...if I use bubble wrap, I still stuff news paper between the sides and each other...

I shipped a lot of 8 ounce jelly jars of puree this past fall and no one has mentioned anything about any breakage...I have lots of news paper since we get it 4 days a week...

I do it a tad different, I wrap the bottle in bubble wrap, put it in a plastic bag and surround the bottle (Inside the bag)with newspaper then twist the bag shut, tape cloased and place in shipping box and fill any excessive space up with
styro peanuts or newspaper to keep it from moving around. the trapped air in the bag acts as a additional shock absorber
along with the newspaper, and bubble wrap.

Back