• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Padron - Western Washington Plateau.

Hi Peeps!
I hope to grow some Padron peppers to spread around to friends and maybe a few to the local market. At the very least I hope to have a Tapas to go with my Bombas! Fry them up with oil and sea salt and wait for the hot one! We dont get Padron peppers here due to climate, so I decided to try and grow my own. I like to cook. Many recipes from many places and the worst part is not being able to get the ingredients or spices. Unfortunately, I live in a zone 8 area, far from Spain, with months of cold and a lot of rain. It was 33deg this morning and 64geg this afternoon, and humidity is 35...
20200412_165140_remastered.jpg

So here we go! Noob inside start!
(Dirt in my area is very nutrient rich)(sorry I didnt take pics from the start)

I bought my Padron seeds from amazon. Sherwoods Seeds. I planted four seeds in a 1/4 gal. round pot. Points of the compass, about 2in. apart. I used a mix of Miracle Grow potting soil and soil from my front yard. My average house temp. is 73deg. Kept the soil damp for about a week and three of them sprouted. I used a lamp growing light for the next few weeks about an inch above..

What I used to start..
20240502_151307.jpg

20240502_142950.jpg

20240502_143009.jpg

Sorry I didnt start taking pics from the beginning. But this is pretty much what I used to get them growing to about 3inch. It was that easy. Keep the soil warm (above 70deg.), moist, and add a little light after they sprout. Potting soil is good and has nutrients, but I think the mix I used with the natural soil from my yard helped.

Once they got to about 3in. and the first true leaves started to grow I transplanted to three 1/2 gal. pots. I used a large spoon to scoop out far around the roots. By this time I bought a bag of generic garden soil and mixed it with Miracle Grow and more soil from my front yard. I left about an inch of soil from the top. I bought another set of LED grow lamps (LORDEM Grow Light) and kept them 7in. from the top of the plants. They continued to grow for another week but started to get top heavy. I added more soil to just below the seed leaves to add more support. At the same time, I bought FoxFarm Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula: Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom. About a week after topping off soil, I mixed all three 3cc (syringe) with a1/2 cup of water and poured about a table spoon on the soil. They liked it!

Im at the end of the first month and this is where they are living. I spray them, and the plants around them once a day to keep the humidity up.

20240502_071817.jpg
20240502_071828.jpg
20240502_071844.jpg

This is where they live for now..
20240502_151502.jpg

20240502_151407.jpg

Still working on the humidity...

Going on from here, I have 5gal. buckets, holes drilled and water pans. Soil mix of generic garden soil, Miracle Grow garden soil, succulent soil and Forrest Ocean. Plus the FoxFarm Liquid Nutrient Trio. Problem is the weather outside is still very cold. I now have four LORDEM Grow Lights and can keep them inside for a while. Currently running the lamp for 12hrs starting 3hrs after sunrise. Too cold outside, and my timer only runs 12hrs.

Ill post updates as they they happen.
Ill ask questions below..
Ill also resize pics. Sorry!!!

After viewing this, please suggest something you see that may help, such as pruning, soil, planters, whatever!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20240502_151307.jpg
    20240502_151307.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240502_151404.jpg
    20240502_151404.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240502_143009.jpg
    20240502_143009.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240502_142950.jpg
    20240502_142950.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
First question for you guys..
How long with the plants be good in this size container? I can jump to a 5gal bucket any time. Im thinking iceberg, whats below the surface should be larger. Im guessing the roots are already starting to get crowded. Thoughts?

Second - Since its going to be a while before I can move them outside, should I add more LED lamps. I now have four LORDEM Grow Lights I can use now, or in the 5gal buckets. I also have a reptile heat lamp I can bring up the temp. with.

Third - Should I pinch and prune?
20240503_180145.jpg

All of them still have the seed leaves. As you can see, there are other leaves growing in between all of the true leaves. Should I pinch, or just let them go? I feel the plant should be getting taller.

About to water, they getting droopy..

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:
Hey THG. Things are looking good!

My thoughts are. More light and a few more hours of light (if possible) are good things. Droopy doesn't necessarily mean they need water, it can mean too much water (or too much water retention) sometimes and if you're using outdoor soil in your mix you might want to pay attention to that because it doesn't drain well for containers. Sounds like you mixed it up with some good potting soil so maybe that's not an issue for you. Also, it's highly unlikely those guys are root bound. I doubt they've even filled out that space yet. And whatever you do don't pinch those leaves/branches growing out along the stem among the leaves. Those are a good thing and your plants are looking great!

Hey THG. Things are looking good!

My thoughts are. More light and a few more hours of light (if possible) are good things. Droopy doesn't necessarily mean they need water, it can mean too much water (or too much water retention) sometimes and if you're using outdoor soil in your mix you might want to pay attention to that because it doesn't drain well for containers. Sounds like you mixed it up with some good potting soil so maybe that's not an issue for you. Also, it's highly unlikely those guys are root bound. I doubt they've even filled out that space yet. And whatever you do don't pinch those leaves/branches growing out along the stem among the leaves. Those are a good thing and your plants are looking great!
Thanks Boss!
I can add a second light and adjust the timers to come on a few hours apart. One start at 5am to 5pm, the other 7am to 7pm? Twice the light for 8hrs. and build up and taper off? My lights work on 12hr cycles.

In your opinion, when should I start looking at putting then in the 5gal for roots? Another month? Two?

Not going to pinch. Keeping a close eye on water. Every two days and less than 1/4 cup (4TBLS). I do mist them every day. Ive noticed that just the tips of the leaves curl up when they are water happy.
Wont use my 3cc fertilizer mix for another 2 weeks or so.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
That all sounds good. I'd probably look to pot them up to the 5g's once they're hardened off and adjusted to being outside 24/7 so what, probably within about a month. Don't want to wait long after that because they'll take a little time rooting in again and we need to get the most our of our summer here in western wa.

Got new home for the peppers.
20240506_174551.jpg

20240506_174623.jpg

Ive got three grow lights on them now, 7 - 10inch above. The LED strips are set at 12hrs, one at 5am, the other at 7am. The desk lamp LED is manual. Ive put them in a pug dog kennel to keep the cats out. Ill need to secure and consolidate the wires...

This weekend might be the first available outside time!

Devs - Cant edit original post anymore. I would have put this up on the original post there so its a running timeline in one easy segment. Frustrating thing to me is that there is hardly any middle info on growing. I was hoping to post a timeline in one section and reference up through further posts...

Last edited:
@THeGAME101 - As soon as I saw the pic, I thought "cats", lol. That should work! On a side note, one of the perks of being an Extreme Member is the ability to edit your older posts. Just sharing info.

This is about 10 days after new house with 3hrs a day outside...
20240515_135800.jpg

Starting 5 days ago, I took them outside in the shade. Zero chance of direct sunlight. Also, the side of the house they were introduced to get zero direct sunlight, much cooler, and more wind. I gave them out door time of around 3hrs each day.
Yesterday way different. They got shade in in the hot side of the house. I gave them about 3min direct sunlight hotter part of the day as I took them out, and three min before I brought them inside. Today, Ill give them around 6min. direct in the middle of their 3hr outside stay. Looks like they have grown about 3in. in 10 days. YAY! Ive got the shade box they are in to avoid hottest part of the day for now.
20240515_140658.jpg

Unfortunately, the next week is going to be cold wet and windy. Going from avg. of 78deg. day to 48deg. night to 63/46 and rain. Pretty much any accumulation to direct sunlight Ive done is out the window for at least a week. Im going to put them outside away from the rain and wind, but wont get much direct sunlight for the next week.
Im going to raise the lights to outside the indoor cage cage back to 7in. I also bought a small greenhouse I can put everything in, along with a heat lamp. Plus, there is the 5gal. buckets to transplant available. Should I worry they are getting too big for their current 1/2gal planters? More light inside? More heat?

Dawg - How are you doing with yours in Seattle? In Enumclaw I get wind. Here a 1mph sustained breeze can be like putting your head out the window in a car its so flat. If its a steady 5pmh, itll break the stems. Ive found wind barriers to keep them away. . Then we got the impending cold..

Attachments

• 20240515_140658.jpg
    20240515_140658.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Looking good! Things are coming along well up here, too. I've been hardening off for plus or minus a week, depending on plant toughness and maturity. Everyone's out 24/7 now and except the youngest they're getting normal sun for my deck (not a full day, but at least 6 hours of direct depending on location). They seem fine with it. I had a few windy days early on, but no damage. I plan to start transferring some to my community garden plots this weekend and will hopefully finish this month.

I just checked the local forecast after seeing your post and I'm bummed about the cool and rain. Hopefully the forecast changes as it often does this time of year. I think you're typically a little cooler than here, so you might want to keep bringing them in on the cooler nights, but I bet they could take some bigger doses of direct sun and would respond well. I just check them periodically at first (every hour or two) to see if they show wilting and if they do it's back to the shade.

Last edited:
Yeah, so bad!
Too windy and too cold for at least the next week to harden. Below 60deg high, cloud cover, and 8mph sustained winds with gusts into the 20s.
Im thinking Im going to transplant to the 5gal inside and can the hardening until the weather get more solid. Then basically starting the hardening all over.

Noticed some nodules just above the soil line. Looks like 4/5 white bumps on either side of the stem.
20240517_163346.jpg

Guessing those are roots wanting to grow? Thinking about clipping the seed leaves, waiting a few days for them to scab, then replanting to the 5gal. 2/3 stem below soil line.
Ive got some new hardware, a 36x18x32 greenhouse and a heat lamp. Good news is that they growing well. Bad is that they are going to outgrow the cage before I can get them outside..
And cats...

Last edited:
Back