• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Paper towel germination

How do you prep these for the best results. Where do you put it to heat? Are you using heat mats, controlled heated environment or on top of the cable box.

What's your best pre soak methods? Did you make any mistakes in the process?

Tea? Water? Nutes?

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

True. I practice both right now but where are the tricks learnt from the lessons of messing up? That's what I'm looking for.

I even soak in hydro peroxide to clean the seeds.

I found tips on various sites and videos but maybe we can compile them here for everyone.

I dont do any presoak, and up until today didnt have any means of heating them, and have been getting close to 100% germination. Just received a heat mat in the mail today, so we will see if that speeds up the process any. This year instead of paper towel in a zip lock bag, I am using small plastic condiment containers with clear plastic lids. Line the bottom with paper towel, cut to fit, and drop the seeds in, wet the paper towel/seeds, pop the lid on and write the variety on the lid with a Sharpie. Cuts out a LOT of time opening bags to check for sprouts when you are sprouting lots of seeds and multiple varieties. You can just look in and see whats happenin...

It all depends on what you've got around.  Paper towel and room temperature has been spotty for me.

Placing the seeds in a Jiffy tray and periodically setting the tray in the area of the wood stove netted almost 100% germination for me.  I feel like warmth is a little more important than constant moisture.

CMJ said:
I dont do any presoak, and up until today didnt have any means of heating them, and have been getting close to 100% germination. Just received a heat mat in the mail today, so we will see if that speeds up the process any. This year instead of paper towel in a zip lock bag, I am using small plastic condiment containers with clear plastic lids. Line the bottom with paper towel, cut to fit, and drop the seeds in, wet the paper towel/seeds, pop the lid on and write the variety on the lid with a Sharpie. Cuts out a LOT of time opening bags to check for sprouts when you are sprouting lots of seeds and multiple varieties. You can just look in and see whats happenin...
So no paper towel covering it right?

AvidLiving said:
So no paper towel covering it right?

Right. I fold a paper towel in half, place the container on it and trace around the bottom with an ink pen. Cut it out and it fits right down in the bottom. It stays nice and humid in there with the lid on, even more so with a little added heat, so no need to cover the seeds with anything. The benefit of doing it this way is that you can check the progress with very little effort. I tried this method side by side with the plastic bag method as an experiment, and germ rate was the same and about the same amout of time.

See I'm liking these opinions. I feel I've had varied results with seeds in light or without light.

Reactions: CMJ
That's pretty much what I do but I place them on my Xbox for heat upstairs. Heat mat downstairs. Not sure why but my pepper germination has not been good. I'd like to only use 6 seeds per try of each type but maybe I need to up it to 20 at a time.

In my opinion, the paper towel method is kinda an unnecessary step. A heated propagation mat with seeds in peat or something similar is the way to go. 90 to 100% germination in 3 to 7 days.

Back