• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Paper towel method ?

Started some seeds the paper towel way. For the first time. Just wanting to know. When the first root/sprout shows. Do they need to go back on heat? After planted in soil? Or can they just go under lights, since they done started?

Once the roots sprout you should be able to place them in some soil and give them some heat till they emerge from the soil. Then you can put them under lights and cut off the heat. I still have the heat on mine as I am waiting for other seeds to germinate too. That has been my experience as I started 12 seeds the same way 9 of them are popped up out of the soil.

First, damp coffee filters are better because they have a tighter weave. If you happen to leave the seeds in the paper towel too long, they'll dig their roots into the weave of the towel, which makes removing them problematic. Next, keep in mind that you don't want to leave them on heat for too long, as it can make them too lanky - fewer nodes mean less production.

Guess I should've detailed my progress better. Started seeds on towels. They sprouted. Then planted them white root down in soil. Now do they still need to be on the heat pad? Sorry for any confusion. Cause I'm running out of room on my heat pad. With all I've started this year. An still got 6 more varieties to go.

I soaked my first batch of seeds for a couple of days before planting last year. They didn't sprout any faster than the ones I sowed directly into soil. Maybe it was my technique, or my water, or whatever, but I'm a believer in doing it the way nature does it. Drop it in the soil, my friend!

You don't have to leave them on the heat pad, but some heat helps. I put mine under a warm light to get them to pop up. that way I can keep my heat pads for germinating.

Back