• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Paprika variant?

Hello all

Got this from a friend. They are bone dry and have been hanging in his kitchen for years. He believes them to be a paprika variant. Going to grow them to see what the fresh product looks like.

Cheers

Hein

wp20130216002.jpg

wp20130216003.jpg

Looking good. Small leaf size tells me it is getting plenty of sun. I wonder if it would like a little more shade? Some varieties do much better with a break from the blasting sun. Don't be surprised if those first buds fall off, pretty typical for adolescent plants to drop flowers. So exciting to see mystery plants mature!

I am keeping it indoors inside a north facing window. It gets sun for probably 50% of the day. It is currently winter here so the sun is not very warm. It is indoors to keep it away from frost. Not that cold here (lowest I have had is -2) but frost is a problem.

mmm, I will move it a bit back from the sun and see what happens :-)
mneb.jpg

dh4p.jpg

Since you post that your summers are HOT.I might re think my guess of Cascabell.
I found here they don't like heat.
They set pods in spring and fall mostly.
Looks like Cascabel though.
Maybe your grow (soil etc) favors their likes better than my potted plants.

Cascabel is one of my favorites for a Blender type chile for rubs etc. I like Chile Negro in the mix too.
Both add to each other for flavor.
You won't be disappointed if they are cascabel.

Pequin with that large of a Calyx?
I don't think so.
Too thick a stem too.

The what ya ma call it on the pods bottom is usually the stamen that stuck around due to some kind of un favorable condition.
The other pods won't have it and usually are different/true.

The Calyx says Annuum,looks like as I posted before-Cascabel...I think.

Back