• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pasa?

Does anyone know about a chili called Pasa? Went to Mexico in december, found several interesting things, among them a round dried chili, size of an apricot, brown, thin walls, seeds inside ratteling nicely. A lady told me it's name was Pasa. She also named a Guajillo at the same time so I believe her, but i can't find anything about it. Took some seeds back home and want to grow a few but would like more info. Help?

I dont suppose you would have a picture of the pepper do you ? I would have said pasilla at first but you say it was apricot size and thin walled which is more like a hab. What was the heat like? were the seeds white? color of the ripe pepper?

The pepper was dried and brown so it is hard to tell the colour of the fresh pod, my guess is it was red. And I did not get a pic. The shape was round like a cherry, just a whole lot bigger. Have no idea about the heat, took it home and harvested the seeds. They are quite large, blonde.

possibly do you mean PASILLA sounds kind of like it?
however Guajillo is also known as Mirasol and Guajillo and Pasilla are two different peppers
your discription sounds like it in so many ways and it does originate from Mexico??

thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
possibly do you mean PASILLA sounds kind of like it?
however Guajillo is also known as Mirasol and Guajillo and Pasilla are two different peppers
your discription sounds like it in so many ways and it does originate from Mexico??

thanks your friend Joe
No, as I said, the chili was round, the Pasillas are long. And the lady named two very different chilis that I shoved her, one was Guajillo, the other one Pasa. I believe it originates from Mexico, at least all the other chilis I saw is commonly grown there.
Hmm, looked the Cascabel up, and it looks very similar to the chili I found, the description fits nicely too. Cascabel is also called Bola. The size is said to be smaller than my chili was though. Bola, Pasa, can they be confused? Guess it will have to be settled by growing the thing and see how it turns out, and post a pic!

on the other hand you said its round like a cherry sorry im at a lose here on this one but it sounds like a Pequin species to me

thanks your friend Joe

SL3 said:
"seeds inside ratteling nicely." 
Cascabel = Rattle or Rattlesnake
ah yes also could be CATARINA

Looked up Catarina, and found a few pics, some show dry chilis very similar to mine, but some fresh ones looks more teardrop shaped, and they are all smaller as far as I can tell from the pics. The description of taste sounds really nice! And I read on a page that it grows well in temps very much like a Danish summer :-) So later this year I hope to be able to post some pics!

Thanks for your help, I believe I am now much closer to finding the right name for my mystery seeds! What a great forum this is to be a part of!

BareMig said:
Looked up Catarina, and found a few pics, some show dry chilis very similar to mine, but some fresh ones looks more teardrop shaped, and they are all smaller as far as I can tell from the pics. The description of taste sounds really nice! And I read on a page that it grows well in temps very much like a Danish summer :-) So later this year I hope to be able to post some pics!

Thanks for your help, I believe I am now much closer to finding the right name for my mystery seeds! What a great forum this is to be a part of!
i grew it and it was not fanastic, if had good heat but the flavor kinda sucked, then again im not much of an annum fan

thanks your friend Joe

Back