• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried pasilla/ancho ??

i go to every local grocery store and i stroll to the chiles fresh and dried. they have a dried pasilla/ancho. and passilla peppers that i could swear are pablanos, am i crazy because i've also been to 'fancy' spice stores that call it a pasilla/ancho too? or is ancho just dried chile heh? willard was the last person i remeber talking about my pasilla vs pablano/ancho got some info for me?

I've seen them labelled that way too, but pasillas and ancho are both dried versions of different Mexican peppers. Anchos are dried red poblanos and pasillas are dried chilacas.

POTAWIE said:
I've seen them labelled that way too, but pasillas and ancho are both dried versions of different Mexican peppers. Anchos are dried red poblanos and pasillas are dried chilacas.

What he said...
Just like chipolte is smoked jalapeno. I wish they would just say that.

POTAWIE is right in what he said. They look way different. Anchos are fatter and Pasillas are thinner and long looking. Living in Texas they label them right or they'll have mole to pay.

P. Dreadie

Josh said:
What he said...
Just like chipolte is smoked jalapeno. I wish they would just say that.

Actually any smoked pepper can be a chipotle, but its most often jalapenos;)

I make a mean barbecue sauce using rehydrated anchos that i puree into a paste instead of using a tomato base. Its badass I'll post the recipe next time i make it, i've never written it down i just kind of add the ingredients to taste.

POTAWIE said:
Actually any smoked pepper can be a chipotle, but its most often jalapenos;)

Blasphemy. Others are just smoked peppers. :hell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle

I love eating these straight out of the can, they're only like $.67 per can too.
617E71YNVDL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

Txclosetgrower said:
Blasphemy. Others are just smoked peppers. :hell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle

I wouldn't trust Wiki for the most accurate info, the authors aren't chileheads like us and I've done lots of editing for them.

"Generally speaking, chipotle in English refers to any smoked chile pepper. The Spanish word chipotle is a contraction of chilpotle in the Náhuatl language of the Aztecs, where chil referred to the hot pepper and potle was derived from poctli, meaning smoked. The word was apparently reversed from Náhuatl, where it originally was spelled pochilli. Other early spellings in Mexico are tzilpoctil, tzonchilli, and texochilli.

The most commonly smoked chiles are jalapeños, named for the city of Jalapa in the state of Veracruz. They are also known in Mexico as cuaresmeños, or Lenten chiles. In Puebla, Central Mexico, and Oaxaca, jalapeños are known as huachinangos, while in coastal Mexico and Veracruz they are called chiles gordos."
http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.ph...hipotles-&catid=92:pepper-profiles&Itemid=149

Nice. Ok well I'll say that all CANNED chipotles are jalapenos. Maybe. Lol ok i give up. But damn I love the ones canned in adobo sauce. They're the perfect snack food.

What anybody makes for chipotle in Mexico depends strongly upon what is grown locally.

I have seen xalapa, tepin, arbol, pasilla, many chinenses, guajillo, manzano made for chipotle.

willard3 said:
What anybody makes for chipotle in Mexico depends strongly upon what is grown locally.

I have seen xalapa, tepin, arbol, pasilla, many chinenses, guajillo, manzano made for chipotle.

Makes perfect sense to me.

willard3 said:

Willard is there more regional names for differnt peppers in mexico
as in Brazil,Chile,Peru etc the locals seem to have individual names for the peppers depending on locality :)

Back