Pasilla Bajio

I have a crop of about 20 of these, around 10" long and brown.  I tasted one and it is sweet with no heat much as expected.  I have read these are good in chili con carne and provide a smokey flavor.  That sounds great but eating them fresh provided a slightly earthy sweet taste, no smokiness at all.  Are they normally smoked to preserve them?  Or does drying them change their flavor? I have to either freeze them or dry them, normally my default is to freeze if I can't use them fresh as that doesn't preclude drying them later.  Any recommendations most appreciated, I do not have a smoker!

Robisburning said:
normally my default is to freeze if I can't use them fresh as that doesn't preclude drying them later. 

I think you already have figured it out. If you have room, freezing is more versatile.

Personally, I plan to dry mine since the recipes I have call for dried chilies.

Chilaca/chile negro is the fresh chile

Pasilla is dried chilaca.

Pasilla means little raisin and they taste like that. Used a lot in moles.

Indiana_Jesse said:
Much better flavor dried in my opinion, and that is usually how they are used(dried) once ripe.
So the flavor improves with drying?  That was really the heart of my question.  I am suprised but perhaps drying is my best bet.

Thank you all for the responses!

Hot annuums are best used either green and crunchy or left to dry.  Red-ripe many of them have a bad sour taste - they go squishy fast.  Left to dry and used as a "paprika" they have the most amazing flavours. Pasilla Bajio is best left to become wrinkly on the bush then harvest and dry - it really does have an earthy-fruit and smoky almost dusty flavour - like a good Shiraz but with hints of Cabernet Franc.

Only the sweet peppers are best left until red-ripe but still crunchy for fresh use - and then I prefer them stuffed and baked.

Only the sweet peppers are best left until red-ripe . . .

That hasn't been my experience.  Hot annuums—jalapeño and serrano, as specific examples—can develop some sugar in the red, ripe stage.  The complexity that combo brings—some sweet with the heat—is my favourite for tasting raw chiles.

Back