• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Passow Decides To B More Nutz

***Copied and pasted from The Hot Zone Online***

nutterz.jpg

The first big inventions/discoveries were fire and the wheel. Next, beer was created. From the yeast in beer we got bread. “How can we make bread better?” they asked. Sliced bread was the answer. Now many people say that there have been a few inventions “better than sliced bread”, square watermelons, soap on a rope, multi-colored duct tape. But none have surpassed the shear brilliance and wonderment of potato chip coated peanuts. Ladies, gentlemen, and chili-heads, I give you…Nutterz.

Nutterz: Chili Ingredients: Peanuts, potato starch, sugar, flour, peanut oil, corn meal, egg whites, salt, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, xanthan gum, dehydrated onion and garlic, oleoresin paprika, chili and soy bean oil.

Nutterz: Nuclear Ingredients: Peanuts, potato starch, sugar, flour, peanut oil, corn meal, egg whites, salt, sodium bicarbonate, corn starch, xanthan gum, dehydrated onion and garlic, oleoresin paprika, chili, Habanero pepper and soy bean oil.

Nutterz: Bacon Cheddar Ingredients: Peanuts, potato starch, sugar, flour, peanut oil, corn meal, egg whites, salt, sodium bicarbonate, cheese powder, whey, maltodestrin, sugar, salt, MSG, onion and garlic citric acid, oleoresin paprika, soy bean oil.

Nutterz: Crab Flavored Ingredients: Peanuts, potato starch, sugar, flour, peanut oil, corn meal, egg whites, salt, sodium bicarbonate, celery salt, spices (including pepper, mustard, all spice, cloves, mace, ginger, cinnamon) and paprika.

Now, I usually make it a point not to drink and write a review, sometimes I find it impedes the writing process. But owner, Dick, said that they go great with beer so who am I to argue. I decided to open up one of my homebrews (Passow’s Senatorial Brunette Ale) and drink that because it is very light and won’t affect the mind much nor interfere with the flavors.

I want to address the packaging first. Very well designed, easy to read, resealable, and with one glance you will know what flavor it is (a pig adorns the Bacon Cheddar, a crab for the Crab Flavor, mushroom cloud for the Nuclear, etc etc). I also like the sleek look of the coffee been style bags.

Let’s start off with the Mild Chili flavor. Great potato chip crunch and flavor followed by the peanut. There is a slight sweetness from the paprika and the sugar which precedes the salt taste and a minuet garlic flavor hovers around. When Dick labeled this “Mild chili” he really meant it. I get little to no heat and pepper taste (unless you count the paprika). Really amazing overall though.

Taste: 7, Heat: 0.000007

Next comes Nuclear. Mmmmm….now this is a home run! Crunchy potato chip taste up front, peanut second followed by a slightly fruity Habanero flavor! Next comes the garlic, salt then that slight sugary flavor again. The onion follows the garlic into the after taste which is a nice change from the Mild Chili. The Habanero flavor really balances the overly peanuty taste of these products (sorry folks, I’m really not that big of a peanut fan…more an Almond lover). Simply amazing and be sure to pair this with a nice, sweet stout (Tommy Knocker’s Black Powder Stout comes to mind).

The heat here is a bit disappointing from a chili-head and non-chili-head standpoint. From a chili-head standpoint I really would love to see about twice as much heat in this product. From a non-chili-head stand point, well, it’s got some kick, but not blow the tongue out of the back of your head kick. The hot sauce store I work at (Heather’s Heat and Flavor) we sell these and have them out for sample. I tell people before hand that it has Habanero powder on it, they try it, and end up loving it (and buying it) but not asking for something to cool it down. When you think of “Nuclear” you really think of something along the lines of Defcon ZERO.

Taste: 8, Heat: 4.2

Up next is Bacon Cheddar. This one looks completely different from all the other ones. It basically looks like a skinned potato where as the other ones had flecks of color all around it. The cheddar really shines as the first taste in this, powdery at first then rehydrating to a smooth cream. Next the potato, etc etc. Compared to the rest, this is really plain. At first I thought that there was no bacon flavor but now, after a few nutz, I taste it. It comes in as a aftertaste but is very slight.

Now comes the major problem I find with the bacon product. It has MSG in it. There is absolutely no reason to have that toxic chemical in there. With so many people that are allergic to this (myself included….) I just don’t get why someone would put that in their product, thus limiting their audience that they can sell it to. The beer to have with this would probably be a good Brown ale such as Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale

Taste: 5.5, Heat: 0

Ah yes, Crab, I so love crab! Some of the best crab I’ve ever eaten is in Washington DC. Let’s see if this bag lives up to my high standards for those floor walking crustaceans. I put a few nutz in my mouth (get your mind out of the gutter) and an instant rush of crab flavor hits me! It disappears as fast as it appears, but boy does that remind me of eating Alaskan Snow Crabs on the pier. Then the usual tastes, potato chip, peanut, more salt than the rest which is due to the use of celery salt and an interesting mix of spices most notably the cloves. There is a very small peppery bit to this too. My beer recommendation on this would be Great Lakes Christmas Ale, the spices would pair quite well together.

Taste: 6, Heat: 0.2

Overall a pretty impressive product and one of the most innovative things I’ve seen in a long time! I look forward to seeing more of what Dick has to offer the snacking world.

I too sampled all of Dick's Nutz and I pretty much agree with everything you said IGG except: I thought the bacon ones had a WHOLE LOT of bacon taste. Maybe there might be slight variations in seasoning from bag to bag, but wow it certainly wasn't an afterthought in mine. I was talking with Dick a while back about developing a Fatalli powdered Nutterz. I'm sure he will come up with something hotter. Nice reviews and thanks for the beer recommendations that is good stuff and soooo you.

Yea, everyone i've given dick's nutz to everyone, adn have loved them..btu for the love of Cod...we need more heat!

;)

Nuclear..should be. I'd say about 350-500k SHU would suffice and nto kill the mortals eh? Mix cayeene, hab, and naga powders...for a kill heat kick and full burn.

I'd sprinkled pure Bih powder in my nutters..adn loved it...but normals would die, so not just that.

Make Hott Nutz, as the current one..and then....BAM!

Naga NUTZ!

Think of this Dick, videos of ppl darign to eat yer nutz....

Back