• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Passow Reviews Philipperv's Naga Sauce

Copy and pasted from my official review on a seperate website:

The Naga sauces keep rolling in and for heat lovers like me, this is the best thing that could ever happen. Scott from the Philippines just brewed up his own homemade hot sauce called Chili Scott's Nuclear Naga Sauce and sent it to me for a small taste. It's a very small bottle, but I'm glad I got some in because this one's really interesting.

Ingredients: Vinegar, Naga Morich Peppers, sauteed onions, garlic, salt.

Scott let this sauce age for a few months before sending it to me and I must say, it really adds to the flavor. It allows the ingredients to introduce themselves to each other and they end up all having a good time, except for our poor friend the Naga. He just sits in the corner because no one will talk to him. They all know he's a biter.

This is an extremely well blended sauce, smooth and liquidy. The vinegar stands out but not as much to distract you from the overall taste of the sauce. The garlic and sautéed onions are really the forefront taste and the Naga Morich hovers around them. I can definitely taste the Nagas, which brings back a flood of memories from when I ate a whole one. There also is just a hint of salt that helps to accent the subtleties of all three ingredients.

I would have to say that this isn't a complex sauce. It's very straightforward in the flavors, the heat's spot on, and it complements every single dish that I put it on. The food that I found this to go perfect with is fish. Grill up some Maui-Maui (I do so love Coryphaena hippurus) and slather a bunch of this sauce over it. The garlic and onions pair amazingly well with it and the fruity taste of the Naga throws your taste buds into overdrive…until the heats kicks in that is.

I was really disappointed by the heat upon first sampling the sauce. I just did a little spoon full at first and got a big blast of heat right away that died down a second or two latter. This is because the sauce is mainly vinegar based so the pepper heat is really thinned out. Then I used it in my breakfast burrito (the cook at work knows of my pepper addiction and tolerance so he always uses copious amounts of the sauce I hand him for my food).

HELLO!! THERE WE GO! I FOUND THE HEAT!!! WAAAAHHHOOOO!!!! This sauce has bite! Unlike some other Naga sauces I've had, the heat in this stays with you. Like riding a bucking bronco, the heat grabs your tongue and holds on for dear life. I found myself bouncing around in my chair, red faced, smiling, and having a hell of an endorphin rush. Plus, my tongue went a little numb afterwards (a nice little side effect of the Nagas. It's almost like the tongue says, "That's it, we're shutting down for a bit until this heat goes away. Why do you keep doing this to me?").

For Scott's first attempt, this sauce is a winner! While simple, it hits upon most of my favorite things when I look for a sauce; recognizable tastes, heat, and the amount of food that it pairs well with. Here's hoping I see some on the market someday. Preferably soon because I'm all out now.

Taste:8.7, Heat:9.23

Back