Passow's Hop Harvest And Wet Hop IPA

Well, it's time...beer time that is. On Saturday I harvested my hops for Sunday's brew of Wet Hop IPA. I harvested over 2 pounds of Cascade and 8 ounces of Mt Hood. Here's the pictures for everyone's enjoyment!

The migrant workers in the field (Chem and me):
hopharvest1.jpg

The harvest in gallon zip lock bags:
hopharvest2.jpg

The hops boiling in the kettle:
harvestipa1.jpg

The spent hops:
harvestipa2.jpg

All said and done, the hops absorbed about a gallon of water wort.

THAT IS CRAZY!!

did you brew Sunday?

We were both probably brewing our harvest ales at the same time.

Crazy.

We were having a battery crisis. The wii won, so there were not batteries in my camera, lol.

I'd say that I got about the same amount of hops as you, all cascade though.

My magnum made maybe 15 cones, same from my willamette.

I can't wait to see that cascade next year!

Your bines will be unreal too next year.

I think I will always grow hops. What a blast!

What was the recipe?

I went with 10 lbs or so of 2 row. 1 lb of crystal 20L, and a phuckload of fresh hops for 70 minutes, a few (the willamette) at flame out.

dry yeast.

I had a few immature cones, plus what little 2nd harvest I get to dry hop it.

P.S. I doubt if fresh hops absorbed wort, it probably evaporated in the boil.

cheezydemon said:
THAT IS CRAZY!!

did you brew Sunday?

We were both probably brewing our harvest ales at the same time.

Crazy.
Yep, Sunday was the day. I started at 10:45 and ended around 3:30.

cheezydemon said:
I'd say that I got about the same amount of hops as you, all cascade though.

My magnum made maybe 15 cones, same from my willamette.
I still have alot of cones left on the Cascade. It's still producing :shocked:

My Sunbeams only gave me 10 cones :(

cheezydemon said:
What was the recipe?

I went with 10 lbs or so of 2 row. 1 lb of crystal 20L, and a phuckload of fresh hops for 70 minutes, a few (the willamette) at flame out.

dry yeast.

I had a few immature cones, plus what little 2nd harvest I get to dry hop it.
I've addopted the policy of not giving out my recipes anymore. Sorry. Let's just say I used 13.5 pounds of grain, over 2 pounds of frsh hops, and California Ale.

cheezydemon said:
P.S. I doubt if fresh hops absorbed wort, it probably evaporated in the boil.

Nope, it wasn't the boil. I don't lose much on the boil. I was able to sqeeze alot of the wort out of the hops right before it went into the fermentor.

cheezydemon said:
Interesting!

Adopting policies eh?

Sounds awfully official.

Yep. I've come to the realisation that since I am formulating my own recipies now I really shouldn't be giving them away. Especially if I go on to a brewing job or win awards for it.

I felt that way a long time ago.

I guess I have come to the realization that the same recipe will taste different if brewed by different brewers.

Also, many accomplished homebrewers are more than happy to share their recipes.

But to each their own!

:cheers:

imaguitargod said:
Yep. I've come to the realisation that since I am formulating my own recipies now I really shouldn't be giving them away. Especially if I go on to a brewing job or win awards for it.

Oh for fucks sake! Do you realy think your that good?

I have won Gold medals at a nation competition level in Australia and hapily share every recipe i have. Whats the point in making something great and not helping others with similar interests to achieve similar goals?

Or do you need to keep it to yourself to feel powerful :rolleyes:

A big post count doesnt make you great. I know comercial brewers here in Australia, that run very popular micro brewerys and they will happily share recipies and brewing methods for there beers.

But anyway........ enjoy your beer.... Im sure it will be great with all the fresh hops.

People lose interst when you dont share :!:

tony05 said:
Oh for fucks sake! Do you realy think your that good?

I have won Gold medals at a nation competition level in Australia and hapily share every recipe i have. Whats the point in making something great and not helping others with similar interests to achieve similar goals?

Or do you need to keep it to yourself to feel powerful :rolleyes:

A big post count doesnt make you great. I know comercial brewers here in Australia, that run very popular micro brewerys and they will happily share recipies and brewing methods for there beers.

But anyway........ enjoy your beer.... Im sure it will be great with all the fresh hops.

People lose interst when you dont share :!:

Wow, hostility alert, time to give it back! I share my beer with many people and I don't need to defend my descisions to anyone, least of all you. It's my choice, respect it and learn not to be so harsh.

That was a little harsh, but I hear what Tony is saying.

When stone brewery publishes it's recipes in BYO, and Ed Wort shares his on homebrewtalk.com, you just sound a little like a noob pepper grower saying that he won't share his growing secrets.

But he has that right to be sure.

Like I said, to each his own.

I am sure that people in Hollywood are anally proprietary about things, so I can see where you are coming from.

Well yes... i guess i was a bit harsh and i do apolagise for my harshness.

But i still think your being a bit precious about it all. :rolleyes:

Like i said..... I recon green hoped beer is great and yours will be great too.

I.... and probably others, would have been interested in the recipe..... how you calculated your bitterness and what %AA levels you acounted for the fresh hops. How much hop you added late in the boil.... ect ect. Its what makes the story of your beer interesting.

But if you want to keep it to yourself it is your choice, as you said.

Enjoy your beer.

Cheers

tony05 said:
Well yes... i guess i was a bit harsh and i do apolagise for my harshness.

But i still think your being a bit precious about it all.

Thank you for your apolagy. I accept it.

tony05 said:
I.... and probably others, would have been interested in the recipe..... how you calculated your bitterness and what %AA levels you acounted for the fresh hops. How much hop you added late in the boil.... ect ect. Its what makes the story of your beer interesting.

But if you want to keep it to yourself it is your choice, as you said.

Enjoy your beer.

Cheers
I'll give the low down on alot of things here for you, I just won't spell out how much of this and how much of that, etc etc of the malt bill.

I've looked at enough recipies for IPA's over the years I know know what amount should be used. I took the average % of AA's for both of the hops into account and played around with the amounts in Pro Masha nd Brew Smith until it was in the range I wanted it.

I know that unless I get it tested, my AA's could be way high, way low, or just right. That's the burden of growing on your own. Hence, I just said screw it, we'll just use the typical % range.

I put a pound of crystal 20L in mine, as well as an ounce or 2 of munich dark. 10 pounds or so of pale 2 row.

Dry yeast.(;(tough times my friends)

I said screw weighing the hops, no telling how much they'd weigh dry.

I may call mine the hail mary IPA, lol.

Tons of hop aroma coming out of the air lock today!

Lovely

cheezydemon said:
I put a pound of crystal 20L in mine, as well as an ounce or 2 of munich dark. 10 pounds or so of pale 2 row.

Dry yeast.(;(tough times my friends)

I said screw weighing the hops, no telling how much they'd weigh dry.

I may call mine the hail mary IPA, lol.

Tons of hop aroma coming out of the air lock today!

Lovely
I've read that generally it's a ratio of 1:5 (dry to wet). So I took everything and multiplied it by 5.

I'm leaning twords the name Wet Hop IPA or Garden Hop IPA.

Many breweries will gladly give you their recipe for their beers. Dogfish Head is one of the few breweries who are uptight about this. The whole spirit of homebrewing is sharing and helping each other out, and generally having a good time. Keeping or sharing your recipes and techniques will have little impact on your level of success.

I think in Hollywood and Cali in general, people would patent protect their pet's names if they could.

IGG lived among those people for years.

Lets just be understanding and move on.

Back