• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

patented cultivars "club varieties"

I got these tomatoes at Schnuck's for my zapotec jalapeno pepper jelly .
I liked them so I looked them up an found that seeds are not made available to the public etc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumato
What I am wondering are there any peppers done this way  Kumato is a hybrid the ones I got was the mini version.
I know red savina had some pantented & I think the reaper but seeds was available with these .

Aji fantasy is patented. From what I understand, you can grow it for hobby but not for commercial use.

You just about have to be an international lawyer to answer this question.  Heck, you just about have to be an international lawyer to understand the answer.  Let me share the wee bit I have learned.

US Patents on pepper plants do not exist.  This is because patents on plant that reproduce sexually are not granted in the united states. 

US Plant Variety Protection Act affords some limited protection to the creator.  That is what Red Savina had for a period of time.  Thing is, the act itself was challenged and the courts about gutted the thing.  From what I understand, even if US PVPA has been awarded, you can still seed save and sell the crop from that seed without permission.  However, you may not sell the seed.  Now here is the weird part, as far as I can tell you can sell the whole pods with seeds in them.  I get the feeling this is why so many people do not bother with the expense of PVPA.

US Trade Mark - These are awarded to a name, not a plant.  As an example, "Smoken Ed's Carolina Reaper" is a trade mark owned by either Mr. Curry or his business.  However, disclaimed in their trade mark is the name Carolina Reaper.  So as long as you do not purchase the seed under civil contract, you can do what ever with the seeds except call them by that trade marked name.

Civil Contract - This is why you gotta read those terms of sales, terms of service, and the likes.  A seller can essentially make up almost any rule they want for their product.  As an example, last time I checked if you buy seed from Puckerbutt you agree not to use them for any commercial purpose.  You cant sell what you grow from those seeds.  Growing up in agriculture, this is the weirdest thing I have ever seen.  Sure Monsanto has some things you can not seed save, but selling your crop is why a farmer buys seed stock.  Obviously, the seed stock is for hobbies an backyard vegetable gardens rather than hot sauce makers.

Other nations have their own forms of protection.  Someone mentioned Aji Fantasy.  It is covered by Plant Breeders Rights (PBR) in Finland.  The owner of those rights indicates that you can grow it for any non-commercial purpose.

http://www.fatalii.net/Chile_Peppers/Aji_Fantasy

Making thing willy more confusing, it seems that either merchants do not care about the various laws or those laws do not extend to other countries.  My absolute favorite seed dealers are in Australia.  They sell Aji Fantasy and do not mention the Finish PBR laws on the thing.

https://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/aj-fantasy/

If anyone else can shed much appreciated better light on this, please do.  It is damn confusing at times.  But from what I can tel as long as you have no commercial intent you can not get into trouble growing any pepper or other plant that reproduces sexually

Back