• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2017

Seeds in the distilled water soak tonight,
into Jiffy Pellets tomorrow... Happy New
Year!

IMG_4606.JPG

Seeds started 01/01/2017:
JA Red Habanero (CPI and self-selected) - 3
Fatali, yellow (Pepper Joe) - 3
PDN x Bonda Ma Jacques (F5 Trippa's cross) - 3
Aji Amarillo (F5 self selected) - 3
Rocotos/Manzanos/Cabe Gendot (self selected) - 7
Orange Bhut Copenhagen (Refining Fire) - 2
Aji Limo (Peruvian 2015) - 2
Scorpion, yellow (F5 self selected) - 3
Aji Lemon Drop (Tradewinds Fruit) - 2
Scotch Bonnet MoA (Trident Chilies, John) - 3

Numbers refer to target number of plants
for season 2017 grow. Annuums go into
Germination chambers in March.

bpiela said:
I would double like that pic if I could.  Hahahaha, Ben!
Blitz527 said:
I second that. Absolutely beautiful. Can't wait till mine get to that point.  Seems like it can take forever, Alex!
Pulpiteer said:
Wow, look at the flowers on that!  You may get a few pods off that plant this year... A possibility, Andy!   I'll hold that thought...

Thanks, gentlemen.  It's crazy - never had one flower
so profusely this early.  Actually too early.  If it was plant-
out time, it would be perfect.  I haven't used any kind of
bloom fertilizer, but AK fish fertilizer is a 5-1-1, so there
is a little root and bloom food in it.  The plants seem to
be liking the greenhouse.

Trident chilli said:
Your greenhouses and fish fertiliser have certainly enhanced that plant Paul ... so many flowers hopefully the drop if any will be minimal
I expect most of these will fall off, John.  It's
just too early for them to be setting pods.  Last
season, all of the plants were flowering while still
in the greenhouse and under the lights inside, but
only one set a pod - a 'Cardi' Scorpion.  I was totally
surprised by that!  There will be many runts early in the
season from the early flowers, but then real pods start to
set for the late Summer/Fall harvest.

Superhot Sim said:
Amazing picture of all them flowers my chilli brother from another mother ;) :party: and brings home spring is really on its way , do you have fans round your plants for Paul for air movement and flower set ?

So many of your plants are so well established mate and a credit to your skills......happy gardening .
Hey, my friend! It's only Spring in the greenhouse and
under the lights around here! I only have fan on the
small plants until they go into two-liter pots. If I start when
they have a set of true leaves, that's enough to kick them
into stout stem mode!

Thanks, Sim, I appreciate the far too kind words, and hope
they resonate with my plants! Best to you...

Here are some pics. Will add captions later.

Life in the foil tunnel on the table in the garage.
Four plants fill the space under the 4x4 T5HO lamps!:
IMG_5147.JPG

I have noticed some leaf issues on the Scorpions, very tiny
lesions on a yellow spot on some of the leaves.  After last
year's experience, which they are survivors of, I have been
aggressive in removing any leaves that are damaged or look
iffy.  I hae also moved all five specimens to the garage to 
keep a better eye on them and make it easier to keep them
away from other plants.  In general I am maxed out for space
if I don't want plants to touch each other!  These are just general
pics of the different plants; all are at about the same stage:
IMG_5148.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

The tallest specimen:
IMG_5152.JPG

Saw this in the local everything store's garden section.  Out of
curiosity, I picked it up.  At first it looked gimmicky, but when I
read the ingredients/analysis, it seemed like a well-prepared
product.  You decide.  It's a liquid.  I can make about 36-41
gallons of fertilizer depending on amount used per gallon of
water:
IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

Going to see how it works this summer with the tomatoes
and some peppers just for fun.

Devv said:

look into Neem oil spray. Bhut, if one thing makes me stray from 100% organic it's the damned aphids. I'll give all the organic methods a try, if they fail, ones got to do what they have to so they don't lose the whole deal.

Look out for the ants that mine those nasties, and kill them ;)

Hey Paul!  Thread looking awesome as usual. Here's a simple guide I follow for all my gardening stuff. worked great on my previous peppers as well. I live organic...here's a copy and but it will get you in the ball park.
Aphid Control Measures:
Prevention is an important key. Aphids do not tolerate garlic odors, so Repellents like Garlic Barrier can keep aphids away before they visit your garden. Also, high levels of nitrogen help aphids reproduce, so proper Soil Amending and Soil Medium selection is imperative. Using slow release Organic Fertilizers can avoid a nitrogen spike while providing long-lasting nutrition for your plants. Constant monitoring should be done, particularly of new plantings, as aphids prefer plants under stress. Yellow Sticky Traps can be used to give you early indication of aphids moving in and help you monitor the growth of an aphid population.
Act quickly at the first sign of an infestation. An organic knockdown spray like Safer® Brand Insect Killing Soap with Seaweed Extract or Bonide Insecticidal Soap will serve to reduce aphid numbers to more manageable levels. Botanigard and Mycotrol contain Beauveria bassiana, an insect parasitic fungus, and is useful as a biological control spray for aphid control.
When daytime temperatures are below 90°, Ladybugs are a perfect choice while above 90°, Green Lacewing will do the trick –. Other Generalists such as Minute Pirate Bug, Orius insidiosusCryptolaemus and Delphastus will also benefit your control plan. If you are growing commercially or have other specialized beneficials in your garden, it's best to order aphid-specific parasites or predators. We recommend the parasitic Aphidius colemani, Aphidius ervi or Aphidius abdominalis or in these circumstances.
I use a lot of beneficial bugs when I can but will go to organic homemade sprays when I have to. Downside is sprays will kill off your bugs you want. Cheers all!

Aaron, you rock, buddy.  We missed your culinary expertise
at the NWCF last Sept.  Hope it works out for you this year!
organic pepper said:
Hey Paul!  Thread looking awesome as usual. Here's a simple guide I follow for all my gardening stuff. worked great on my previous peppers as well. I live organic...here's a copy and but it will get you in the ball park.
Aphid Control Measures:
Prevention is an important key. Aphids do not tolerate garlic odors, so Repellents like Garlic Barrier can keep aphids away before they visit your garden. Also, high levels of nitrogen help aphids reproduce, so proper Soil Amending and Soil Medium selection is imperative. Using slow release Organic Fertilizers can avoid a nitrogen spike while providing long-lasting nutrition for your plants. Thanks, Aaron - good to know!  Constant monitoring should be done, particularly of new plantings, as aphids prefer plants under stress. Yellow Sticky Traps can be used to give you early indication of aphids moving in and help you monitor the growth of an aphid population.
Act quickly at the first sign of an infestation. An organic knockdown spray like Safer® Brand Insect Killing Soap with Seaweed Extract or Bonide Insecticidal Soap will serve to reduce aphid numbers to more manageable levels. Botanigard and Mycotrol contain Beauveria bassiana, an insect parasitic fungus, and is useful as a biological control spray for aphid control.
When daytime temperatures are below 90°, Ladybugs are a perfect choice while above 90°, Green Lacewing will do the trick –. Other Generalists such as Minute Pirate Bug, Orius insidiosusCryptolaemus and Delphastus will also benefit your control plan. If you are growing commercially or have other specialized beneficials in your garden, it's best to order aphid-specific parasites or predators. We recommend the parasitic Aphidius colemani, Aphidius ervi or Aphidius abdominalis or in these circumstances.
I use a lot of beneficial bugs when I can but will go to organic homemade sprays when I have to. Downside is sprays will kill off your bugs you want. Cheers all!
My protocol as well.  Early detection, Safer Insecticidal Soap,
very effective in my greenhouse, followed a couple of days later
by Neem - I use the pure Neem oil not the diluted commercial stuff.
I repeat the cycle in a week or so if I see continued incursions.  
Sometimes I'll find a little colony and just cut it of the plant. Sticky
traps rule in the garage and in the greenhouse!  The simple procedure
Aaron describes works great...

We've actually had a couple of summers without uncontrollable aphid
attacks.  A couple of Katydids did more damage to roses than the aphids
last summer!

stickman said:
Hi Paul, it's really nice to see your gi-normous plants in the greenhouse with flowers on them... great work! :thumbsup:
Thanks, Rick, it's a mixed blessing.  I have no more room
if I want to keep the plants from rubbing on each other as
much as possible.  So far, so good, most affected leaves
have been on the Scorpions.

Paul
nice find on the super bloom feed ,
Phosphate, Potash ,Calcium , Potassium , Poultry manure, Bonemeal, Kelp, :shocked: i tell you what my friend can you get me 2 bottles i,ll drink it myself :lol: :lol: :crazy: thats everything you want for flowers and fruit ....

I live in the heart of farm land and right next to the coastline and the farmers still use fresh kelp and seaweed washed up , its got like something like 90 available micro nutrients in it and all natural.....

Your plants are going to love it...

PaulG said:
Thanks, Alex - you are always    :welcome:   here! 

That's still how I do it, even in my sixth season!
In 2012 I knew zip-point-caca about capsicum sp.   ;) ,
and was even surprised to learn they can be  
perennial.  I still pick up tips and tricks all the time   :D

Some awesome growers on the forum, for sure   :clap:

I just have to share this JA Red Habanero pic:

Beautiful plant Paul!

I gotta give some credit to Walkgood. He shared those seeds and they have made their rounds. They are one of the most stable, prolific, easy to grow, and great tasting peppers I've come across. I will always grow them. :party:

Nice update Paul,

As usual, you're on top of your game ;)

Aaron, thanks for the Aphid input. Garlic will be in the play next round for sure. Luckily I've only had to spray bad stuff in 2 seasons out of many.

Superhot Sim said:
Paul
nice find on the super bloom feed ,
Phosphate, Potash ,Calcium , Potassium , Poultry manure, Bonemeal, Kelp, :shocked: i tell you what my friend can you get me 2 bottles i,ll drink it myself :lol: :lol: :crazy: thats everything you want for flowers and fruit ....

I live in the heart of farm land and right next to the coastline and the farmers still use fresh kelp and seaweed washed up , its got like something like 90 available micro nutrients in it and all natural.....

Your plants are going to love it...
I've been spraying with kelp extract along with Cal-Mag
for a long time. I see it's in a lot of prepared solutions/soil mixed.
This came from our local Kroger chain garden center. I liked that
the protein was hydrolyzed and that it contained humic acid along
with mycorhizae. Will keep informed.

Devv said:
Beautiful plant Paul!

I gotta give some credit to Walkgood. He shared those seeds and they have made their rounds. They are one of the most stable, prolific, easy to grow, and great tasting peppers I've come across. I will always grow them. :party:
Absolutely, Scottie! And I totally agree!

The Orange Manzanos have put on some monster leaves all-of-a-sudden   :shocked: 
IMG_5154.JPG

Contrast their growth habit with the 2nd generation
Red Rocoto twins stretching for the sky   :party: :
IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

The tallest Aji Lemon Drop.  Haven't measured
lately but has to be pushing 29-30" by now:
IMG_5159.JPG

The tops of the Aji Amarillos:
IMG_5162.JPG

I just thought this Chili Pepper Institute Caribbean
Red Habanero had a cool canopy   :cool: :