• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Peach Bhut and Throat Burn

I got to try my Peach Bhut for the first time last night.  Almost a papaya flavor to it, just a little sweet and fruity.  It had an incredible throat burn though.  I don't think I have ever had a pepper burn in my throat that bad before.  The mouth and lips weren't too bad.  It was also a pretty small piece, maybe 1/6-1/5 of the pepper.  It caused me more pain than the creaper I tried last week.

I also got to try a Fatalii for the first time last night.  It had more of a mouth burn than the Peach Bhut, all of the heat seemed to be concentrated there.  It wasn't as fruity/citrusy as I thought it would be from everyone's descriptions.   We'll see if I can get enough peppers to make a batch of hot sauce and see if I can bring out the flavor a little more.

The Peach Bhut was also dripping oil.

IMG_20130822_233858_338_zpsd83e24e3.jpg

IMG_20130822_234042_102_zps429abca0.jpg

I will be trying a peach bhut tonight and will post how I like it. If you like fruity go try a brazilian starfish it has small amount of heat so you can eat the whole thing but it tastes like fruit punch.

Do other types of Bhuts and/or Nagas hit your throat hard?  They all do for me.  They always hit the throat much harder than my mouth.  Must be the type of capsaicinoids in them vs other supers.

The yellow and the red bhut didn't hit my throat hard, but the yellow seems to be a much milder pepper.  I didn't grow any standard red bhuts this year. 

Coheed sent me a white bhut in a SFRB of mixed peppers and that didn't hit my throat like that either.  So far I would say that is the tastiest of the bhut strains I have tried, much fruitier.  There was also a "not" black naga in the box and that was an all around burn for me, throat, tongue, and lips.  Tasted like a sweet watermelon too.

Heat wise the peach bhut has been the hottest of the 3, but I have been stressing the plant pretty good so I might have elevated the heat level a bit.

I have my first chocolate bhut ripening but it seems to be taking forever.  I might be able to try it by the end of the weekend and see how that hits me.

I tried the chocolate bhut last night, and took another bite of both the yellow and peach varieties as I was cutting them in half for the freezer.  All three were the same throat burn just with different levels of heat.  The peach was still the worst/hottest with the yellow tasting pretty mild by comparison.   Has anyone done any research on which capsaicinoids burn in which area of the mouth?  I thought I remembered reading about that somewhere but searches turned up blank.

Back