• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Peach Surprise

I need to come up with a better name for this one, but it works for now.  :)

IMG_20131002_231047_206_zps5e175761.jpg

The ingredients:

16 Peach Bhut Jolokia peppers (mine were smaller, the plants were in 3 gallon pots)
1 cup white carrots
1 large onion
2 peaches, peeled, pitted, and chopped
6 cloves garlic
2 cups water
3 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups vinegar

IMG_20131003_013111_664_zpsbb95db23.jpg

IMG_20131003_013150_250_zps5387831e.jpg

I took one photo in front of the box so you can get a better idea of the color.  About as pale yellow as I can get it.  I would have preferred white fleshed peaches but it is too late in the season here to get them.

The other bottles are my Chocolate Scotch Bonnet sauce.  The onions, carrots, and garlic are roasted in that one.

The Peach Surprise is very hot.  It was my hottest ghost pepper variety this year, outshining the red, chocolate, and yellow.  The subtle sweetness of the peaches really helps bring out the flavor of the peach bhut.  I am very happy with both of these.

Justaguy said:
white carrots = parsnips???

No, they are actually white carrots.  I am growing white, yellow, orange, and purple this year.  The white, yellow, and orange come all together in a packet called "rainbow carrots" while the purple were planted separate.  They are perfect for hot sauce as you can pick the carrots that add the color you want or go more neutral with them.

Portuge said:
Very nice looking final product...

Thanks!

compmodder26 said:
Love the color on that.  Very nice.  Recipe sounds good too!  What type of vinegar did you use?

Just white distilled.  I debated on rice vinegar but the apple cider vinegar was out right away with the subtle flavors I was hoping to capture.

muskymojo said:
Looks/sounds great. I was actually thinking about doing something very similar. I have peach bhuts coming out of my ears this year.

Mine were very productive in their pots this year too, just a little on the small side.

I am going to try something similar with the peach and ginger mash I have leftover from making homemade soda. I'll probably simplify it to just having the peach mash, a few cloves of garlic and use bonnets for the heat. I was debating the garlic until I saw this in my search. Thanks for posting this recipe.

Made a batch last night with White 7 Pots and pears.  Turned out even better than the first batch (I think, need to taste them side by side), and packs more of a wallup too.  I also made a roasted jalapeno and serrano which is the other sauce in the picture.

IMG_20131016_234843_632_zps6ecefc78.jpg

IMG_20131017_075528_884_zps4e9d1295.jpg

IMG_20131017_082343_310_zps95cb0629.jpg

The bottle on the left is the Peach Surprise, the one on the right is the "White Lightning."  I don't know if you can get much closer than that to an actual "white" color for a hot sauce.  Very pleased with the color of this one.  The peppers were from Judy but they are on my list for next year.

The peach and pear both sound wonderful.  I'd like to try this but have not made sauce before.  Can you give me a description of your process?

Pretty simple, and doesn't take that much time in the grand scheme of things.
    1. Saute the onions and garlic in some of the water (1/2 cup should be enough) until soft. Add the carrots and cook until they are tender, adding water as necessary to keep everything from scorching.
    2. Add the peaches, peppers, salt, and sugar and simmer 15-20 minutes.
    3. Blend the ingredients until the desired consistency, then add the vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil for 5 minutes, then ladle into bottles, cap, and invert.
i used an immersion blender but you can use a regular blender or a food processor instead.  Just be careful with the steam released when you blend.

I had to come here and attest that poy's Peach Surprise and White Lightning are very good!  However, that White Lightning is a fireball!  I sampled that one first... the burn lingered a bit, but not disturbingly so, and not in any kind of painful way.  The peach by itself has great flavor- great heat too, but since I sampled that one after the white, I didn't get as much of a shock of heat.  Made some stellar tacos for lunch today.

Great looking colors and flavor combos Poy!!! I have begun to process a bunch of mine and found that sweet sauces are easier to get good flavors with the chinenses.

Question...I notice you don't don't use a thickener of any sort. I use Xanthan Gum but was wondering when making my last batch if the pectin in the apples I used were enough to keep it from separating? So, have you noticed any separation in yours? I did notice I could achieve a much smoother and thinner consistency with a smaller amount of Xanthan and no separation...but still used a little for good measure. 

stc3248 said:
Great looking colors and flavor combos Poy!!! I have begun to process a bunch of mine and found that sweet sauces are easier to get good flavors with the chinenses.

Question...I notice you don't don't use a thickener of any sort. I use Xanthan Gum but was wondering when making my last batch if the pectin in the apples I used were enough to keep it from separating? So, have you noticed any separation in yours? I did notice I could achieve a much smoother and thinner consistency with a smaller amount of Xanthan and no separation...but still used a little for good measure. 

Thanks!  I still have 6 gallons of various peppers that I need to make into sauce of some sort.  I just have been too busy to get my butt into the kitchen for a night or two to make a couple batches.  Mid January maybe :)

I just went and looked at the bottles to see if there was any separation.  I don't see any on the two bottles still sitting in the pantry.  So it has been a little over two months with no separation.  I think the carrot is enough of a thickener with the quantities I use. 

Back