• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Peat pellets...grrrr

I used peat pellets in a pinch the other day, MISTAKE! Placed my sprouted seed in them and results were shit. Most never came up. .........never again! :evil:

If I remember right I have read that the acidity of peat pellets dont work out well for germination - I had lost a great deal last year to the point of nearly scrapping the season using peat pellets

as much flack as the peat pellets , it seems to be the most succesful method for me. i use the kits with the dome and i put a heating pad (for babies) on the lowest setting. this always works. seedlings must be takenout of the dome immeadiatley upon sprouting and put under a light. i used a different method last year because a few seed companies made it sound like this was the worst thing you could do for seedling. well , my germination rate last year sucked. this year i went back to the tried and true method after i learned that the peat moss rumors were exagerated. 100% germintation on all varieties. sorry this method didn't work for you , but it should have. there's a million ways to skin a cat though. good luck with the rest of the year!

I successfully used peat pellets on non-peppers in the past. However, I am not using them for my peppers at this point, but did put a few just-sprouteds into a couple of them about a month ago. At the same time, I put some just-sprouteds into some starter mix. The ones in peat pellets did come up, but the ones in starter mix did not - finally dug them up and found they never went any further than when I had put them in there.

You said you placed your sprouted seeds into the pellets, so I am guessing you are using the paper towel (or similar medium) method for initial germination, then moving the just-sprouteds into the pellets. I am doing similar, but now am not moving them into starter mix until they are more fully sprouted - the sprouts must be green and tall enough that I can safely move them to the starter mix with the tops above the surface before I move them. They're still very small at this point, but at least I have evidence at the surface of what is going on with the sprout.

I would say I have a TOTAL germination rate of about 85%-90% this year. With PepperLover's Bhut Carbon seeds, I had 100% germination.

Peat pellets work fine as long as you keep them moist, but that's the rub, they dry out rather quickly and need close monitoring.

Packing them close together in a tray and under a domed lid helps a lot.

Been using them for awhile and get a 75 to 80% start up. They need to be warm before they come up and light after they come up. It's a real space saver (72 flat /w dome) and easy to set up ( add water and seed ). An extra tip is after they soak up the water take a toothpic and kind of till up the peat pellet.

I've used them with good results too. I always dump out about 1/4 or 1/3 of the peat and "fluff" them back up to full. Otherwise I find them to be too densely packed. As others said, if you leave the sides exposed they will dry out really fast.

Back