• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Peat vs Coir vs Perlite

By far your best choice to fluff up the soil will be perlite - basically mix anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 parts perlite into the sandy soil and you will add a lot of fluff.

My opinion would be perlite. It is pH neutral and works extremely well for its intended purpose.
Peat unless pH balanced is acidic and you may not need to be adding acidity and it will compact. When it comes to coir, I have used it with no noticeable benefits and a down side that when it becomes dry it seams to repel water. This is a problem when you practice letting you peppers media dry out between watering.

Did you say fluffing?

I agree. Stick with perlite for cost. I am going in-ground for the first time and am amending the largely clay soil with compost and lots of perlite. A little vermiculite too - but it's a bit more expensive.

Thanks, everyone!

My first encounter with a small brick of coir was intriguing.  It does seem to 'fluff' quite well and I was considering buying a few large bricks.  Perlite it is, unless I can score a torn-bag discount on peat.

Yes, I said 'fluffing.'  :D   Within the context of growing peppers,  I do not think it means what you think it means!   :rolleyes:

FLUFFING!!!!!
so+embarrassed.jpg

Proud Marine Dad said:
What about compost?

That's what I'm trying to fluff!  I bought a 1/2 a cubic yard of 75% composed trimmings and 25% sand/soil.  http://tanksgreenstuff.biz/recycled-and-organic-landscape-materials/  It looks to be pretty good stuff, but turned to be a bit denser than anticipated.

A place just down the road has agricultural pumice. http://www.acmesand.com/soil-amendments/horticultural-pumice/ It looks similar to perlite and should(?) do much the same. 
They also carry pecan shells - Have you or anyone here tried them?

Thanks

EDIT - I found a price list and am disappointed to see that the pumice is stoopidly expensive. :(

Back